Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2007, 12:02 PM

Default 88 in LP hits set and lots of flop action

Another hand from my session review that had me scratching my head a bit.

UTG+1 is 66.67/3.45/0.14 over a small sample (~30 hands)
BB is 50.88/2.24/0.14 over several hundred hands

Comments on all streets appreciated, but very interested in thoughts on the pre-flop and flop action.

Should I raise 88 from the button after 2 limpers or just overcall? My thought was to limp since I'm unlikely to get to HU with 2 limpers and I'm really looking to hit a set, but on the other hand a raise might get the blinds to fold . . .

On the flop, I hit middle set but the board is coordinated. Turn and river are blanks. Since BB is so passive post-flop but BB is representing strength here, is my action standard or too aggressive?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.25/$0.5
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $3.95
UTG+1: $4.95
MP1: $6.25
MP2: $6.60
MP3: $15.10
CO: $7.35
Hero: $8.10
SB: $16.65
BB: $1.90

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, 3 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5SB, 5 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#cc0000">BB caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (8.5BB, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB calls all-in $0.15</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (13.8BB, 2 players + 1 all-in - Main pot: 12.4BB, Sidepot 1: 1.4BB)
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Results:
Final pot: 15.8BB
Old 01-03-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: 88 in LP hits set and lots of flop action

You can fear someone's hand much less if they're donking off the rest of their chips. You have the fourth nuts, losing only to TT, J9, and 96. Put the hammer down.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:12 PM

I raise preflop.

And reraise the turn!

You almost always ahead of UTG+1, and BB is all-in and can't reraise. Even if BB were ahead (which he probably isn't) you're now free to extract value from UTG+1 who may only have TPTK.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:22 PM

yep, get BB all in so that if he is ahead which I'm not certain of you can win back some in the side pot off UTG+1.

When bad players bust they sometimes just go with what they have which may not be much, and just keep raising till all their chips are ont.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise preflop.

And reraise the turn!

You almost always ahead of UTG+1, and BB is all-in and can't reraise. Even if BB were ahead (which he probably isn't) you're now free to extract value from UTG+1 who may only have TPTK.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can't reraise the turn, as no one raised his turn raise. The BB just called (All-in). Even if the BB did RR the additional $0.15, hero could not reraise because $.15 is not large enough to reopen the betting.

Hero bet/raised at all opportunities post flop and did so rightly...
Old 01-03-2007, 12:34 PM

**Grunch**

From what I can see your play was perfect. The short stack was probably just trying to get rid of what he had left by raising and re-raising as much as possible (im guessing he thought that by doing so he might get others to fold, increasing his winning chances)

I think a big % of the time your ahead of UTG+1... There is a good chance he has top pair or two pair or even bottem set. You have more of this pot than he does.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:52 PM

with 88, wouldnt a raise be wrong preflop, as u want it multiway to give u pot odds for when u do flop a set. thats what HEFAP says anyway [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] or is 88 high enough pocket pair in this situation to warrant a raise?
Old 01-03-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with 88, wouldnt a raise be wrong preflop, as u want it multiway to give u pot odds for when u do flop a set. thats what HEFAP says anyway [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] or is 88 high enough pocket pair in this situation to warrant a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the limp is standard here. I play entire hand exactly the same. Results be damned if we lost.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You have 2 limpers, a read that a raise is unlikely to drive out both blinds, and already have position. What's raising preflop going to accomplish?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I raise preflop.

And reraise the turn!

[/ QUOTE ]

He can't reraise the turn, as no one raised his turn raise. The BB just called (All-in). Even if the BB did RR the additional $0.15, hero could not reraise because $.15 is not large enough to reopen the betting.

Hero bet/raised at all opportunities post flop and did so rightly...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I misread the action.