Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Re: You suck, DirecTV: only 12/15 weekly games in HD

I've only had Sunday ticket two weeks now but it's certainly worth it if you're a big fan. No commercials, just watch redzone channel when the game you watch goes to commercials... this alone is worth like thousands. Flip it back when over. I haven't heard any Mellencamp yet but tonight I'll have to listen to that [censored] 1000x times.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:47 PM

gus, I can totally understand that. For me, since I get my teams games, I don't see the point. I think thats something that you wouldn't argue against, right?
Old 09-16-2007, 11:34 PM

The worst part is that I pay $270 for the NFL package, and $10 a month for the HD package. Now DTV is telling me I have to pay another $100 for the HD NFL package? Jeebus.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:39 PM

It's worth the money here just so I don't have to always watch Eagles or Packers games as part of my double header here in Denver.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The worst part is that I pay $270 for the NFL package, and $10 a month for the HD package. Now DTV is telling me I have to pay another $100 for the HD NFL package? Jeebus.

[/ QUOTE ]If you ask nicely, they'll waive the $100. Basically, it depends on the CSR you talk to. But many will offer it to you for free if you threaten to cancel it.

I didn't even have to do that. I paid the $100 last year for SuperFan and they gave it to me free as part of the automatic renewal. Then again, they charged me a bunch of money for an HR-20, while others were getting it for free. So I guess it is a wash.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:40 PM

Here's another reason to get Sunday Ticket. This weekend, because the Raiders have a home game, the Fox doubleheader will only be a singleheader. Without Sunday Ticket, I get exactly two games on Sunday: SF @ PIT and CLE @ OAK. And the second game is only if the game isn't blacked out. Since it's Cleveland, it probably will be blacked out.

With Sunday Ticket, I get my choice of 4 or 5 late games instead of 0 or 1.

May not be worth $229 all by itself to some. But that's only $13.47 per week.
Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you have multiple TV's for watching all these outside games I just don't see the point. You aren't going to watch EVERY single game anyway because most of them are going on simultaneously.
Are you really going to be frantically checking on the HOU vs. TB game during the commercial breaks of the DET vs. CLE game? Some of the games just aren't that fantastic an unless you care about one of the teams involved you will probably just stick with the IND vs. PIT game all the way through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this. Set up four TVs flip around crazy like, if you are skilled enough on the remote you won't even miss many plays from the 7-8 games that are going at one time. I can't even imagine living without Sunday Ticket at this point.

I may be developing a problem.

I do wonder how many people have got the Sunday Ticket and then decided not to renew. Most people who I hear saying they don't get it or don't need it because they live in the home market of their favorite team never had it.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's another reason to get Sunday Ticket. This weekend, because the Raiders have a home game, the Fox doubleheader will only be a singleheader. Without Sunday Ticket, I get exactly two games on Sunday: SF @ PIT and CLE @ OAK. And the second game is only if the game isn't blacked out. Since it's Cleveland, it probably will be blacked out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. If the OAK game doesn't sellout then you don't get any FOX game at all?
They don't show a replacement game or an early game instead?
That seems pretty freaking weird. I don't know if your perception is correct or not but I don't remember there EVER being a week where i didn't get at least 1 game on each of the networks regardless of whether my home-team sold out or not.

FWIW - I used to live in the Cincinnati market and we had a LOT of home-game non-sellouts that obviously wouldn't be shown locally.

You should have the very minimum of 4 games each week. And usually at least 5 or 6. And through the bye-weeks this is 5 or 6 out of a total of 13 games I think.

Sluss - Yes, I think you have a problem. That's pretty hyper-crazy football viewing dude.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:26 PM

I also brought up the ESPN college-football gameplan which I think is a similar argument. Although I think the NFL package might be a better deal than the college gameplan I wanted to follow-up on the college stuff anyway.

I mis-spoke when I said 12+ games each Saturday.
It's way more than 12.

I counted them up and I have access to 25 different games this Saturday alone. 27 if you include the Thurs and Friday night games on ESPN.
And I think it's this way most weeks.

So when I hear the fees they charge to get 10-12 extra games each week via GamePlan I can't help but laugh.
Dude, I'm already getting 27 freaking games. Really don't think I need to pay additional for any more than that.

This Saturday I have access to 14 games just on ABC/ESPN-Networks which include ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPNClassic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2792610

On my CBS affiliate: FLA/MISS then SC/LSU.
On NBC: MSU/ND.
Syndicated game on local affiliate: Clemson/NCSt
FSN: TTech/OK St then Rice/Tex then WASH/UCLA
VS: ARI/CAL
CSTV: Duke/Navy, CSU/HOU, SMU/TCU

The ESPN/ABC games I get are:
North Carolina at South Florida Noon ESPN
East Carolina at West Virginia Noon ESPN2
Georgia Tech at Virginia Noon ESPNU
Army at Boston College 1 p.m. ESPN Classic
Penn State at Michigan 3:30 p.m. ABC
Northwestern at Ohio State 3:30 p.m. ESPN
Maryland at Wake Forest 3:30 p.m. ESPU
Kentucky at Arkansas 6 p.m. ESPN2
UConn at Pittsburgh 7 p.m. ESPNU
Georgia at Alabama 7:45 p.m. ESPN
Washington State at USC 8 p.m. ABC
Iowa at Wisconsin 8 p.m. ABC
Purdue at Minnesota 9 p.m. ESPN2
Alabama A&M at Grambling State 10 p.m. ESPNU*
Old 09-20-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. If the OAK game doesn't sellout then you don't get any FOX game at all?
They don't show a replacement game or an early game instead?
That seems pretty freaking weird. I don't know if your perception is correct or not

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have no idea. It's certainly possible that if OAK is blacked out, I would get another game in its place.