Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ...

[ QUOTE ]
mike caro said that you can take the best tournament player and someone ranked at 150, put them on the same table of a tournament everyday and the difference between the two would take maybe 2 years to show up in the results.

i am not player hating on anyone and i never will. my beef with shannon is that he wants to call something that spoiled him early.......a stupid game.........and then when things get a little tough, he wants to quit.

now he says he has more money than he knows what to do with? gee, life is sweet, eh shannon?

i really wish i knew what that feeling is like. when my poker playing doesnt go well, my over all financial situation follows suit.

and now i got to hear it from some spoiled whiner who in my eyes, has a great life and nothing to complain about. a good portion of any of his failures in this game are his own undoing too.

shannon, i am striving to get to where you are at. i was on my way once and then stumbled HARD. i know about loss. my life has been a living hell because of this game.......but i am not going to quit.......EVER. please dont call this game stupid. you have no right in my eyes. its like a slap in my face. you dont know what its like to really suffer.

you guys who sympathize with shannon are a bunch of saps and you probably have no clue to the self accountability and burdens of "having to win".

[/ QUOTE ]

So in your downswing you never called the game stupid?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:20 PM

wait people are getting upset that he called the game stupid

im confused

tournaments are stupid no?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait people are getting upset that he called the game stupid

im confused

tournaments are stupid no?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol donkaments
Old 11-15-2007, 07:27 PM

so, in my up swings......was i ever up over a million? nope.

i used to have a poker friend who we would secretly complain to each other about our hard luck, but i grew away from that. i never ever called this game stupid, however, i do think its a very negative game with a lot of ugliness. but once you break through like shannon did, the weight should be lifted and you should have nothing to complain about.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i used to have a poker friend who we would secretly complain to each other about our hard luck, but i grew away from that. i never ever called this game stupid, however, i do think its a very negative game with a lot of ugliness. but once you break through like shannon did, the weight should be lifted and you should have nothing to complain about.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is money solves all your problems?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:32 PM

ty cts for only quoting the part you needed to instead of clogging up the thread w more crap from that moron
Old 11-15-2007, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

shannon, i am striving to get to where you are at. i was on my way once and then stumbled HARD. i know about loss. my life has been a living hell because of this game.......but i am not going to quit.......EVER. please dont call this game stupid. you have no right in my eyes. its like a slap in my face. you dont know what its like to really suffer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you're sincere in what you posted and all that, but just because poker apparently has some mystical, semi-religious importance in your life doesn't mean that other people are required to feel the same way.

I tried to make a living at this game years ago and did so for about 18 months, with great difficulty. The final shot in the back of my head was when I lost a 32k pot on a two-outer. I was absolutely devastated and had the disgrace of admitting failure to friends and family when I had been riding high for many months.

The experience taught me a lot about life and dealing with defeat, but it didn't leave me with any overriding, mystical admiration for the game of poker itself. In fact, it seems kind of random and arbitrary that my career was torpedoed by a two-outer, though I realize now that if it hand't been that bad beat it would likely have been another down the road. OTOH, maybe if I had won that pot I would have gotten Jamie Gold-type luck at my next tournament and be a millionaire right now.

Right now, I play poker for spending money, and I follow it partly to watch guys like Shannon trying to make a go at the same life that I did. I wish them better success than I had, but I don't agree with you that poker is necessarily some great thing. It can be or it can not be depending upon the person.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ty cts for only quoting the part you needed to instead of clogging up the thread w more crap from that moron

[/ QUOTE ]

come on, if you're going to insult me atleast say something that's going to make me cry. Like you're broke or you play microstakes or your dog just died. But moron, come on, you can do better than that, can't you? And yea, why am I a moron?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you're saying is money solves all your problems?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would like to quote an old world war 2 veteran i have deep respect for........no, he's not a poker player. "money isnt everything........but it sure comes in handy".

let's face it, the bottom line in this game is money. i have no desire for balla status, just the freedom money gives. freedom to think and have choices and not be all f'd up with the burden of time and stress.

money alleviates those things.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But if they are not around for the long term (which is the lifetime of poker, not the player) how can you know if they would be a long term winner. Also, in order to be a long term winner you would need to consider every hand of poker that has ever been played which is in the trillions (probably more but I'm not sure what comes after trillions). What hands a player plays in their lifetime is still only a short term sample and therefore you can't say that someone is a long term winner

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be one of DUMBEST posts I have ever read [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why that is stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is because quadrillions comes after trillions. Everythign else about your post was spot on.