Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 10:18 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues
Default rivered FH -- wrong time to go for a sexy?

Full Tilt Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, 3 folds.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5.5SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3.75BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5.75BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Results:
Final pot: 13.75BB

i got carried away and capped the 3-bet. villain is 55/16/0.76. he's been trying to play back at me all night, defending with T2o 52o and the like
Old 12-27-2006, 10:34 PM

Default Re: rivered FH -- wrong time to go for a sexy?

the way the hand played out, sexy or no sexy its probably capped on the river. guess the real question is what he needs to 3-bet. Would he do it with just trip Js or T9 for the straight.

I'd probably lead the river myself. If he has J8 or QJ I lose money.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:37 PM

I like the river cap anyway; it's not like you can be reraised. Apparently this guy had a hand, but I don't think he's aggressive enough to go for the river CR, unless you have specific read on his river play.

But if you really think he must have had either a flush draw or a straight draw, then you must check the river. But this villain looks retarded, so I wouldn't bank on that, and you'll still get action from the straight.

Wow, my mind is as thick as pea soup. Now I just want to go back to lurking and see what people say.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:37 PM

*grunch*

The sexy doesn't look too bad. A flush draw would probably fold here and might try to bluff. A queen or a jack would likely bet, figuring you for a missed draw.

The cap looks fine, except maybe for the villain's low AF, but I still think it looks good.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:44 PM

In general, if you have no player tendency reads, and you have a hand strong enough hand to bet/3bet the river, just betting will usually be better than sexying since you always gain a bet from a weak calling hand that wont bet, and sometimes you get to 3bet.

If you had a read that the villain would bet with more hands than he will call with on the river then i like this sexy.

About your cap: You did not get carried away. This guys not that passive. This is a standard cap.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i got carried away and capped the 3-bet. villain's been trying to play back at me all night, defending with T2o 52o and the like

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if the sexy is right, but I like the river cap. It would be surprising if he beat you, but if he did he surely deserves a bone anyway for playing back at you with T2 and 52 all night. LoL.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:02 AM

I've found players with those stats to be the calling station types, so a look at his showdown stats may support this. As such, I wouldn't risk a check through on the river and bet so that A high and low pairs can call. I can go either way with a river cap or call down; it mainly depends on his ability to read hands. But generally people with those stats are apes that will auto 3-bet trips there. As there are more combination of trips than full houses that beat you, capping looks good.