Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2006, 12:14 AM

Default More Fun w/ 88

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)
Button is 21.5-5.9-.9/1.2/1.4 after 1700 hands, SB is 39.6-6.6-1.0/1.2/1.5 after 660 hands.

Preflop: The Dude is MP3 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">The Dude raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, The Dude calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, The Dude checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, The Dude calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, The Dude checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, The Dude calls.

River: (9.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">The Dude bets</font>, planning on folding to a raise from either player.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:20 AM

Default Re: More Fun w/ 88

I don't think you are WA/WB here so I don't think this line is optimal here. Since you are in a situation that looks more like a SA/WB (slightly ahead/way behind) situation, checkraising the flop and playing poker from there seems right.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:29 AM

With the stats on Button, it doesn't look like there are many hands that he's 3-betting preflop that you can beat. You are likely way behind his hand range here.

And given his postflop aggression numbers, I'm inclined to think he probably isn't too active with unimproved overcards.

I'd checkraise the flop here to see how he responds. If he 3-bets, I'm sure I'm behind and I'll call now, and check/fold the turn UI. If he just calls my flop raise, I'm leading the turn but fold folding to any further aggession. Unless the turn is an A or K, then I'm just check/folding it - since AK is about the only hand I can see him 3-betting preflop with that you are still ahead of on that flop.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:57 AM

i think if this were heads up, i'd be more inclined to c/r the flop. however, w/ a player sandwiched in between, i like c/c and donking the turn.

i believe the initial check is correct so you can see what the sb wants to do.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:35 AM

bet the flop. if he raises you are often drawing to 2 outs. i appreciate your giving postflop AF by street. the more information you can apply to a situation with incomplete information, the more it can be assessed what the right move may be.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:36 AM

would anyone c/c assuming that button will bet most likely and that we may see sb raise signigfying made flush. that way we can still usssually win a bet when ahead. but more ofton save bets when behind.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
would anyone c/c assuming that button will bet most likely and that we may see sb raise signigfying made flush. that way we can still usssually win a bet when ahead. but more ofton save bets when behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, if button does not have a pair, he will check behind with two other players in the hand.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:18 PM

I kind of like donking the turn more than donking the river.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:48 PM

I think donking the turn just gets better hands to call down, once the second 5 hits, especially with a passive player.

I agree with betting the flop; it doesn't look like he's the type to raise UI overs. If he does raise at any point, you're done w/ the hand.

Checkraising the flop is fine too and only amounts to one more small bet lost when you are behind. I'm not sure how much more you will win with checkraising, as it may kill a bet or two of action on the later streets. There may be a few more hands that SB will call down (I know he'll call a lot anyway); I don't know if button calls w/ AK either way.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:14 PM

I like this play. On the river, you can be certain somebody is gonna put in a bet so why not do it yourself, thus putting pressure on the opp. It is not outside the realm of possiblity that button is foc with AK OR AQ and was just trying to take down the pot.