Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 05:57 AM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (10/9 - ME Final Table)

Yang absolutely raped this final table. I watched it live, and I can tell you the man was raising / re raising every other hand, and was absolutely fearless. He played like a [censored] genius - he KNEW he was one of the worst players at the table, and was WILLING to get all his money in preflop as a slight dog against a better player - because he realized this was his best shot for knocking people out and winning the event.

Yang played to win, and every single hand he played was to knock somebody out. It is very clear he was playing for a purpose, unlike some of the other players who played extremely scared. This ESPN edited broadcast does Yang no credit, and in no way shows how he was truly dominating the table.

You can argue Yang got the cards too, but he also had a few suckouts against him and lost some flips - and still one. All in all, he played optimal strategy for somebody of his skill level at this table IMO.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:20 AM

Jarry Yang is horrible, and whole final table is just awful
Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yang absolutely raped this final table. I watched it live, and I can tell you the man was raising / re raising every other hand, and was absolutely fearless. He played like a [censored] genius - he KNEW he was one of the worst players at the table, and was WILLING to get all his money in preflop as a slight dog against a better player - because he realized this was his best shot for knocking people out and winning the event.

Yang played to win, and every single hand he played was to knock somebody out. It is very clear he was playing for a purpose, unlike some of the other players who played extremely scared. This ESPN edited broadcast does Yang no credit, and in no way shows how he was truly dominating the table.

You can argue Yang got the cards too, but he also had a few suckouts against him and lost some flips - and still one. All in all, he played optimal strategy for somebody of his skill level at this table IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true. I also watched it live and ESPN really did a poor job of showing just how much Yang steamrolled the FT. Plus, about halfway through he changed gears and tightened up but none of the other players recognized this and it cost them. What I watched yesterday bore little resemblance to reality.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so true. I also watched it live and ESPN really did a poor job of showing just how much Yang steamrolled the FT. Plus, about halfway through he changed gears and tightened up but none of the other players recognized this and it cost them. What I watched yesterday bore little resemblance to reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this, are the ESPN telecasts now hurting poker, in the online fight? Or the "poker = skill" argument?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this, are the ESPN telecasts now hurting poker, in the online fight? Or the "poker = skill" argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're probably helping since the more people see this stuff the more they'll want to play poker. Strength in numbers. Anyways, no politician is going to be able to effectively promote online gambling. It's career suicide. But this is for another forum.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're giving him way, way, way too much credit. His thought process seemed to go more like this: "If I just keep nagging the Creator of the Universe enough, he will re-shuffle the deck so that I win, whatever I'm all-in with."

Makes sense, since according to many, He has a hard-on for poker, and would rather preside over a poker tournament than, say, try to fix some of the mess causing children to starve and otherwise die in horrendous ways around the globe.

(Yeah, I'm also pretty tilted about this donkey-[censored] houlier-than-thou [censored] winning the Main Event.)
Old 10-11-2007, 08:35 AM

How long did Yang and the other guy play heads up?

ETA-The flags and chanting were retarded.

And Yang looked really creepy kissing that picture. YUCK.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:20 AM

i like how a lot of people here are saying how the christian god isnt affecting the cards in the wsop because hes doing other, more important things--like he isnt capable of doing several things at once. i thought the made-up christian god could do whatever it wanted and had no time constraints. anyway, lol at all the people (mostly americans) who actually believe in all the christian nonsense. (and yeah i know that ill see the truth when i burn in hell for eternity, so you dont have to tell me.)

lol, "father, i will glorify your name. let people see your miracles (such as an 8 on the turn)."

"come on father! in jesus's name, no weapon formed against you shall prosper!" (wtf? what is this supposed to mean? anyway, it lost.)

"make him a believer. make lee a believer, father." i guess the Lord would rather have lee lose and burn in eternal hell fire.

wowowowowowowowow. its fake, you guys. the christian god is fake--he doesnt really exist. jesus was just a faker or a lunatic with a few sucker followers (or maybe they were in on it, too) and the romans stapled him to a cross and he died. there. now the christians can stop with it already. sorry for raining on your parade, but its gone too far. its just silly. just stop it.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i like how a lot of people here are saying how the christian god isnt affecting the cards in the wsop because hes doing other, more important things--like he isnt capable of doing several things at once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he's always known what Yang was going to do and say he doesn't necessarily have to do it after Yang prays or while multi-tasking. If he had a spare nano-second 6 billion years ago, for instance, he could've changed the cards then.

Or, he could have just set up the cards to favor Yang at the moment of creation, since, again, he already knew what Yang was going to say.

I imagine god may be incredibly bored at this point, which, when you think about it, may explain a lot.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How long did Yang and the other guy play heads up?

[/ QUOTE ]36 hands