Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Top Chef Finale Part 1 Ep Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Given that Bravo's audience is like gay males, women, and 12 oot posters, I don't think it's a shock that the dickish asian guy beat out the girl and the gay dude. (the asian dude is rumored to be bi per some goofy interview answer however)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm hoping he wins but I'd be shocked. He fits the pattern of the technically skilled, risk-taking runner-ups from past seasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I couldn't agree more.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:52 PM

I could agree a bit less. He's technically quite skilled, but he is not always adventurous, and has been criticized for that numerous times. He's not quite as bad with tuna tartare as Marcel was with foams or Howie with pork, but he sure likes it plenty, and has been noted to be kind of phoning it in when it comes to adventurousness sometimes. Not that thats not often pretty smart, I'm just saying...

His adventure with cauliflower ice cream probably reminded him why sticking to the tried and true can be wise.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:04 PM

Noah - I like the Ripert idea alot, but I don't think there are enough pictures out there of him to make it work. At first blush, this is a pretty good one:

But to be honest I'm not really sure what that's a good response to. What is he exactly... pensive?

All - I find Dale to be annoying - am I the only one? Hung is awesome and I hope he wins. I think Bourdain said in his blog that Casey is the clear favorite, but it feels more like a coinflip to me.

-Al
Old 09-27-2007, 06:07 PM

Dale is annoying in that he's a tad bit of a preachy moralist. Also he's got like a deceptive ego that seems unearned. Also he has a [censored] mohawk.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm off (or gay) but when I think of Hung, I think of the words "sprite" and "pixie".

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you're not off, these are excellent words to describe him, he is like an evil little pixie
Old 09-28-2007, 12:40 AM

One of my fav judges. Ripert? Very classy the way he judges.

Interesting episode.

b
Old 09-28-2007, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hung does seem to have some annoying traits, but with different editing I think he might come off as the best chef of any of the 3 seasons and easily the top chef this season. Instead, he's the ambitious wienie who nobody likes.

Sidenote: Reality shows make terrific examples of how media manipulates public opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the pendulum has swung too far regarding making excuses for dickish/bitchy behavior and blaming it on tv editing. Hung has done plenty of things to deserve the role of villain. If you don't want to be portrayed as a dick/bitch, don't act like one.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I could agree a bit less. He's technically quite skilled, but he is not always adventurous, and has been criticized for that numerous times. He's not quite as bad with tuna tartare as Marcel was with foams or Howie with pork, but he sure likes it plenty, and has been noted to be kind of phoning it in when it comes to adventurousness sometimes. Not that thats not often pretty smart, I'm just saying...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is true. It must be tricky for all the contestants to know which way to go when they get ripped for playing it safe but also ripped for taking chances and screwing up dishes.

And it's just so hard to really know how these chefs stack up anyway because there's no objective scale and because of the hoops they have to jump through during the challenges.

Bring on the finale. It'll be nice to watch Casey jumping up and down when she wins.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the pendulum has swung too far regarding making excuses for dickish/bitchy behavior and blaming it on tv editing. Hung has done plenty of things to deserve the role of villain. If you don't want to be portrayed as a dick/bitch, don't act like one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and certainly don't blame it all on the editing. Hung's been a dick and he's not well-liked so that's going to come across one way or another. And if he loses I won't feel like he was robbed; as we've heard before, part of being "top chef" is the ability to inspire others to work with you. This may be Hung's downfall.

But I still think the editing skews things a bit and is all part of how many reality shows work backward from the finale when editing.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:49 AM

Noah,

"This development that Hung might like men is just completely shocking. I'm speechless."