Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 12:34 AM

Default 2/4, K2s tries a steal vs an unknown

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

The 3 players between the blinds and I are rocks, and BB is a tight player, so I take a stab.

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero ... ?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:37 AM

Default Re: 2/4, K2s tries a steal vs an unknown

This is a spot where I usually raise the turn for a free showdown UI. But to be honest, I'm not should it's a good play, and I'm looking forward to hearing other's responses about this hand! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2006, 12:38 AM

No read on the sb? No preflop reraise? No flop three bet? His hand is not that strong or he's a puss... He certainly hasn't done anything yet to earn respect. Time for the free showdown raise.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:13 AM

Raise you have toppair + flushdraw in headups. You could very good be ahead, if he foldes right there it's best if he calls you should feel good to.
I'm not sure if i would take the f.s.d.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:28 AM

call and raise the river if you improve.

free SD guys, I think this is a situation where if we are planning on raising the turn we should be confident in betting the river as well. A big key to the free SD raise is villain having a hand that he is unlikely to bet/bluff the river with, but will call a turn raise (draws). In this hand villain has shown a fair amount of strength which leads me to believe he will beat almost every river if we call. Thus call/call or call/raise is going to net us the same amount as a turn raise/bet riv on improvement line. But, by taking the call/call(or raise) line we don't put ourselves in a situation of getting 3 bet on the turn.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise you have toppair + flushdraw in headups. You could very good be ahead, if he foldes right there it's best if he calls you should feel good to.
I'm not sure if i would take the f.s.d.

[/ QUOTE ]

if villain folds, that is far from the best. villain is definitely not folding any hand that is beating hero's (you fold top pair heads up?), so if villain folds now, we're missing probably one, maybe two bets on the river.

top pair and a flush draw is good, but it's the turn, you got c/red on the flop, and you have a deuce kicker to your pair. just call/call and raise if you get there.

if you decide to raise and get 3-bet, that would be pretty ugly as you have to call the turn raise, and then make a close river decision where you should be tending to fold, but the pot is now really big.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:13 AM

i wouldn't usually try this from so early a position with K2s, but if you had a read to the contrary, i guess it's okay. i would call the turn and call the river UI or raise it if we improve(depending on sb sometimes even if we don't).
Old 09-21-2006, 08:41 AM

Call down. This is a really bad spot for raising for a free sd, villain isn't very likely to be on a draw (thus we will rarely punish a draw), we're on a draw (so we might punish ourselves getting 3-bet), a raise will never fold a better hand (or a hand with many outs), if he bluffs he'll fold (so we lose the chance of him bluffing again on the river) and if we hit our flush on the river we will get the same by calling the turn and raising the river. If you can't valuebet the river if called, then don't raise the turn.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
top pair and a flush draw is good, but it's the turn, you got c/red on the flop , and you have a deuce kicker to your pair. just call/call and raise if you get there.

if you decide to raise and get 3-bet, that would be pretty ugly as you have to call the turn raise, and then make a close river decision where you should be tending to fold, but the pot is now really big.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a c/r, it was a donk/call followed by a donk. On the flop, SB is repping a K, since the flop is so dry, but he could easily have less than that, or a poor kicker (which is certainly better than my 2). The turn donk could easily mean that he picked up a draw, as it so often does, or a slowplayed monster. I think the turn donk is more likely to be a weak hand than a strong one.

Xmas: I think the logic in the second paragraph above is good reasoning. If I get 3-bet, then I think the river is a clear fold UI. I would raise a flush, and just call two pair or trips.

I raised the turn and SB called. The river bricked and SB leads again; what's your move?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:36 PM

Without any info on the sb I throw out a crying call and take notes but against a lot of my regular opponents this would be either an easy fold or an easy call depending on, among other factors, whether they are sophisticated enough to realize what I was doing.