Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: *Official* coaches fired/resign thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chan Gailey of Georgia Tech was reportedly fired. I'm kinda surprised by this because He was 44-32 with 6 bowl games in a row. They are expecting to do better?

[/ QUOTE ]

How could tOSU fire John Cooper after going 111-43-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cooper was fired because he said the OSU v Michigan game was "just another game"....not embracing that rivalry will get you fired

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, his bowl/Michigan record was awful, but his overall record wasn't great either. Nothing wrong with that breakdown of wins/losses, but it wasn't evenly distributed. From 88-94 (7 seasons), he had 1 good year (93, 10-1-1 or something), all the rest were of the 4 loss variety, nothing to write home about and he lost to Michigan (except 94). He had a great run 95-98, 7 losses total, in the top 5 going into the Michigan game every year (only 1 once). Then his last two years were also quite mediocre (and the team he left behind did poorly in 01 too). So my argument is that he was a decent coach but probably not quite worthy of a Top Ten program who had 1 good dynasty-thing but was otherwise fairly mediocre (like a step below Lloyd mediocre). Not gonna get it done, and when you throw in Michigan, no way he could stick around.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Nutt gone

[ QUOTE ]
Nutt made the right decision. I think he's a great coach and his stock was up after the LSU win. He can start fresh at Ole Miss with a new contract. I would not have wanted to come back to Arky without DMac given the divided fanbase. Good split for both parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. Nutt is a very good coach, and hopefully Ole Miss gives him a chance to be successful. Someone mentioned his "mediocre" record at Ark, but I think he did a very good job with the program.

Its obvious the relationship just soured on all sides, and Ole Miss got a great hire imo.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nutt made the right decision. I think he's a great coach and his stock was up after the LSU win. He can start fresh at Ole Miss with a new contract. I would not have wanted to come back to Arky without DMac given the divided fanbase. Good split for both parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. Nutt is a very good coach, and hopefully Ole Miss gives him a chance to be successful. Someone mentioned his "mediocre" record at Ark, but I think he did a very good job with the program.

Its obvious the relationship just soured on all sides, and Ole Miss got a great hire imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm an AR alumn and not a rabid one from the North. The summaries in this thread are pretty accurate but one thing that is typically left out is that Nutt's record in the SEC was a shade over .500 and his record vs. the team's that matter (ie Georgia, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, etc.) is terrible. Now there is no question that Nutt brought the U of A up a notch because he did without a doubt. We weren't even contenders prior to him so I do give him credit. But Nutt's shenanigans off the field have shown that he is very ego driven, to the point of running off key players that could have made a very real difference in the last two seasons for AR.

That said, I do think it's the right move for AR and absolutely the right move for Nutt. AR is at a point where they want to find out if they can truly compete in the SEC year in and year out. Only an SEC championship and a BCS bowl game are acceptable. Now, is this an unrealistic expectation given the powerhouse programs in the SEC? Maybe. It completely depends on who AR can get to be their head coach. If we end up getting a lesser coach than Nutt, which is entirely possible given AR history, then we've done ourselves no good and probably set the organization back. But as a fan, I'm ready to roll the dice and take that chance.

By the way, for those of you interested, take a look and see what Gus Malzahn has done for Tulsa since Nutt ran him off.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:09 PM

WSU fans - check out how Price's UTEP squad finished this season before you get excited.

Price had a good year at UTEP in 2005, below average in 2006, and started 2007 on a good foot. Then, wow.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:10 PM

David Cutcliffe's name is being thrown around in rumors at GT and Southern Miss.

If Michigan hires Ferentz, it will be the worst hire at a major school that I've seen in some time.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
David Cutcliffe's name is being thrown around in rumors at GT and Southern Miss.

If Michigan hires Ferentz, it will be the worst hire at a major school that I've seen in some time.

[/ QUOTE ]
So is Les Miles not being talked about for Michigan anymore?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 PM

It's the elephant in the room right now I suppose. He has a big game this weekend, then the heat will really turn up.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chan Gailey of Georgia Tech was reportedly fired. I'm kinda surprised by this because He was 44-32 with 6 bowl games in a row. They are expecting to do better?

[/ QUOTE ]

How could tOSU fire John Cooper after going 111-43-4?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cooper was fired because he said the OSU v Michigan game was "just another game"....not embracing that rivalry will get you fired

[/ QUOTE ]

Gailey's two stated goals upon being hired were beat UGA and win a conference championship. 0-12.

I've heard Cutcliffe a little, and that's a nice choice.
I'm pretty sold on Chris Hatcher or Charlie Strong right now, but always open to change.

Some of the awesomely ridiculous rumors so far: Dan Reeves, June Jones, Steve Spurrier.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:42 AM

Nutt to Ole Miss confirmed in press.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In a similar vein, how about Mike Price to WSU?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, No, NO..... one of the bigger concerns about Doba was his age (67) and Price is almost there at 61. Also, Price has been largely a .500 coach over his career and did ditch WSU for Alabama...

WSU will probably give him an interview but I see them going in a completely new direction, namely a younger, more charasmatic coach than Doba. A couple of the more likely names imo are Paul Wulff (Head Coach, EWU) and Bob Gregory (Off Coord, Cal). Both have WSU ties. Additionally, one name I've heard that's really interesting is Missouri Offensive Coordinator Dave Christensen. Extensive ties to the NW (though not WSU specifically), plus WSU President Elson Floyd was previously Mizzou's president.

Anyways I have faith that Sterk will make a good hire here.