Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 06-15-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Bored now. Invent a novel poker variant.

All current poker variants suck.

CP is for losers who want to gamb00l it up without playing real poker.

TD is for losers with masochism. (In the words of Chris Fargis, "Triple draw is like a carnival game. Step right up and try to accomplish some wacky goal. You get three tries!")

Draw is for losers who haven't entered the 21st century.

Your challenge: invent a new poker variant with a novel mechanism. (It can be a stupid game for losers, too. It just has to be a new one.)

No previously-published variant allowed.

Bonus points (*) if it's a lowball game.

(*) Points are worth nothing, just like Drew Carey.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:19 AM

Default 13-card Nim Poker

aka "Nim-chinese-poker"

Each player in this game is dealt 13 cards. The table is marked with spots for four to eight 5-card hands and two to four 3-card hands. (2x and 1x the number of players.)

Each player in turn, starting to the left of the dealer, places one card face-up in one of the hands. Subsequent rounds alternate between placing cards face-down or face-up.

The player who completes a five- or three- card hand must pick it up immediately and play it as one of his three chinese poker hands. A player may not complete a hand if he has no more room to take it.

Once all hands are taken scoring proceeds as in chinese poker.

Variants: 2-7 in the middle, of course. You might also scrap the alternating face-up/face-down rule and play either all exposed or all face-down. Or require only the first card in each hand be exposed, etc.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: 13-card Nim Poker

Man, I was hoping for some entries here. I've invented some weird ones, but have published them on RGP etc.

Lately I've been thinking of an omaha indian variant. Players would get four cards, two down which they would see, and two that would be placed on their forehead (or in their hat band) that only their opponent would see. Players would have to play one down card and one forehead card. I suspect that it would have to be played high- or low- only. Played high-low, one wouldn't know if he had a low qualifier until showdown. Perhaps the strategy would be to play high hands that could back into low hands.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Bored now. Invent a novel poker variant.

Each player is dealt nine cards from a double poker deck. A round of betting occurs, then each player exposes one card clockwise from the button. Repeat etc.

While there are two of each card in play, each card may be exposed only once, and only exposed cards play. A player who has exposed all possible cards may choose to be treated as all in. After all players have either reached this state or exposed seven cards, showdown occurs and the best five-card poker hand wins.

Obviously this can be played as lowball or high-low as well. A seven-card Badugi version could be quite interesting with blockers and reblockers.

ETA: may be better with a stripped deck.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Bhowani Junction

This is my own invention, and I have named it, just this instant, Bhowani Junction, after the film of that title. It is an adaptation of the game Iron Cross aka Fiery Cross aka Southern Cross.

In Iron Cross each player has two hole cards and a common card is dealt face up. A round of betting ensues. A further three common cards are dealt with a round of betting after each. Each card represents a point on the compass with the initial card being north. Finally, a card is dealt to the centre of the cross. There now ensues the final round of betting. No cards are wild. In conjunction with your hole cards you use north-centre-south to comprise your five card hand or east-centre-west. So if you had AA in your hand and the cards were dealth K (n) Q (e) J (s) T (w) J (c) you would either have AAKJJ or AAQJJ but as you can only use one axis of the cross you would use AAKJJ for two pair. The trouble with this is that card that must comprise your hand the centre card is dealt last.

Bhowani Junction: the centre card is dealt first, then north-east-south-west follow. Dealing the centre card first takes much of the variance out of it. You still have the five rounds of betting as normal. No cards are wild.

This adaptation is one of my better tinkerings...
Old 06-17-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Bhowani Junction

Not sure if anybody wrote this before, but in my homegame we sometimes play hold'em, omaha and CP with 2 or 3 (2 recomended) flops. You bet into the same pot, and if you win 1 of 2 boards you simply win 50% of the pot. Pretty easy, but still adds a lot to the game.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if anybody wrote this before, but in my homegame we sometimes play hold'em, omaha and CP with 2 or 3 (2 recomended) flops. You bet into the same pot, and if you win 1 of 2 boards you simply win 50% of the pot. Pretty easy, but still adds a lot to the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Double-flop Hold'em is well-known:

http://www.pokernews.com/poker-rules...lop-holdem.htm

(Heck, even Wikipedia mentions it.)
Old 06-17-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my own invention, and I have named it, just this instant, Bhowani Junction, after the film of that title. It is an adaptation of the game Iron Cross aka Fiery Cross aka Southern Cross.

In Iron Cross each player has two hole cards and a common card is dealt face up. A round of betting ensues. A further three common cards are dealt with a round of betting after each. Each card represents a point on the compass with the initial card being north. Finally, a card is dealt to the centre of the cross. There now ensues the final round of betting. No cards are wild. In conjunction with your hole cards you use north-centre-south to comprise your five card hand or east-centre-west. So if you had AA in your hand and the cards were dealth K (n) Q (e) J (s) T (w) J (c) you would either have AAKJJ or AAQJJ but as you can only use one axis of the cross you would use AAKJJ for two pair. The trouble with this is that card that must comprise your hand the centre card is dealt last.

Bhowani Junction: the centre card is dealt first, then north-east-south-west follow. Dealing the centre card first takes much of the variance out of it. You still have the five rounds of betting as normal. No cards are wild.

This adaptation is one of my better tinkerings...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Bhowani Junction has the attributes to make it a mainstream poker variation...
Old 06-17-2007, 03:48 PM

I've played criss-cross where not only was the center card dealt first, it was always the same card, a joker. "Dealt first" is a bit of misnomer, however--the joker was nailed to the center of the table. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2007, 05:52 PM

At the 2+2 homegame in DC we played Second Best Hold'em. Exactly same rules as LHE but the SECOND best hand wins the pot.

It's completely insane. Anyone heard of that before? Is it strategyless?

--GA