Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: got a job interview...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I received an email from a company I don't remember applying to. I re-read the job description and it doesn't appear that I am in any way qualified for the position. The job is also local to my university city, a city in which I never planned to stay. There is a very small chance that I will accept any offer that is made.

Is it ethical for me to accept the interview for the main purpose of practicing my interview skills?

[/ QUOTE ]

Id have a huge problem with doing this. That company is spending time and resources to interview you. I wouldnt feel right wasting their time and money. If you dont want the job then dont go to the interview. Ive done about 100 interviews and could give you some pointers if you are really desperate.

Richard

[/ QUOTE ]

Time and resources? Whatever man.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I received an email from a company I don't remember applying to. I re-read the job description and it doesn't appear that I am in any way qualified for the position. The job is also local to my university city, a city in which I never planned to stay. There is a very small chance that I will accept any offer that is made.

Is it ethical for me to accept the interview for the main purpose of practicing my interview skills?

[/ QUOTE ]

Id have a huge problem with doing this. That company is spending time and resources to interview you. I wouldnt feel right wasting their time and money. If you dont want the job then dont go to the interview. Ive done about 100 interviews and could give you some pointers if you are really desperate.

Richard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess we dont see it the same way. I just dont think that faking your way through an interview will give you any sort of "training" or "experience" for the real thing.... lol especially if they ask any specific questions about the job that you cant answer because you arent qualified for it. Plus a good interviewer will read through all that BS anyway.

If you qualified for the job and could do it well but wasnt sold on the company for whatever reason then yeah I could see your point, but unless I read this wrong you shouldnt get the job anyways :P
Old 03-26-2007, 04:37 PM

I think you should do the interview. I recently went to an interview in a similar situation and I'm glad that I did it. In the past, all of my job interviews have been tense and uncomfortable for me because I was nervous. So when I went to this interview with the attitude that I was not trying to convince the interviewer to hire me, but rather that he would have to convince me to work for him, it was much more enjoyable. The interview went extremely well, and I was totally relaxed. Unfortunately for the company, I turned down the job offer; however, I think that I will do much better on future interviews because of this.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you qualified for the job and could do it well but wasnt sold on the company for whatever reason then yeah I could see your point, but unless I read this wrong you shouldnt get the job anyways :P

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm at least somewhat curious as to why they are interested in me for the job without me having any of the required technical skills. I understand your point about not wasting their time; still, there is at least some chance of me taking the job. Nonetheless, I'm curious about the nature of the work.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it do it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Ya never know, maybe they will offer you a good paying job.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do it do it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Ya never know, maybe they will offer you a good paying job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Money isn't a huge motivator for me right now.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:47 PM

Business ethics is an oxymoron. If you want the experience of the interview, then go. Learn from this and make it work for you in the future.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Richard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, a lot of resources are devoted to these things. Especially at good companies that give a [censored] and make an effort to get good solid people. I've recently been doing a bunch of interviewing and it definitely takes time and energy from me. In fact we're probably averaging a cost of 3-4 hundred per person we interview.

That being said, I don't have a problem with you doing the interview. If they offered you an interview they see something they like or are interested in and they're going to try and sell you the company if they like you. I also think its valuable experience. Every interview makes you that much better, and believe me, there are lots of bad interviewees out there.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:24 PM

In my experience, any job that actively solicits you sucks way too badly to bother with. If you just want to practice your interview skills it might be worth it, but make sure that you make a scene at the end or else they'll never stop calling you. "You're sure you don't want to sell knives door to door?"
Old 03-27-2007, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience, any job that actively solicits you sucks way too badly to bother with. If you just want to practice your interview skills it might be worth it, but make sure that you make a scene at the end or else they'll never stop calling you. "You're sure you don't want to sell knives door to door?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, I read the OP to be be more that he applied to it, just didn't remember. But you're right if he did nothing the company is likely not that great. Although I did have a friend that got a job from Microsoft after getting a random email from one of their recruiters.