Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Rubber band from morning newspaper?
Yes. 3 100.00%
No. Get the blueprint sized ones. 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: HELP! (personal/low content)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get a lawyer, but don't plead! You're innocent if you permanently moved to NY.

[/ QUOTE ]

See his timeline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, Bob, the 2004 date of offense changes this a bit. My defense at that point would be that I was in college.

However, if as I presume, they had been mailing me stuff (warnings, additional service requests, etc.) since then... then I would of course think that if I'm living in NY this should excuse me.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 PM

lol Noah nice catch

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get a lawyer, but don't plead! You're innocent if you permanently moved to NY.

[/ QUOTE ]

See his timeline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Intriguing.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Since you're living out of state, you can probably blow this off as long as you don't mind never coming back to Massachusetts. They don't extradite people over misdemeanors.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP,

I thought I remember you being in law school? Am I way off? Maybe its just the name...

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha I guess it's just the name.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you're living out of state, you can probably blow this off as long as you don't mind never coming back to Massachusetts. They don't extradite people over misdemeanors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Semi-ironically, I plan to move back to MA this summer or so.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Start with a certified letter, return receipt requested, explaining the situation (without the mea culpas). you were a ft student, you didnt think you were obligated for jury duty, no longer a resident blah blah blah.

They may very well drop it without spending money on a lawyer. If nothing else the letter should stop the clock on any additional penalties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Coper. Noted.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
iron,

He asked the wrong question. The right question is what should the Commonwealth of Massachusetts do to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Voted for the Boston High School thing. At least then I can use the bad ass criminal image to pickup some hot high school chics. And MA age of consent is 16, so if I'm careful this should protect me from further legal trouble.

Please don't sentence me to Midge.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
iron,

He asked the wrong question. The right question is what should the Commonwealth of Massachusetts do to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Voted for the Boston High School thing. At least then I can use the bad ass criminal image to pickup some hot high school chics. And MA age of consent is 16, so if I'm careful this should protect me from further legal trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. That is pretty cruel and unusual. However if the law is supposed to have deterrent value . . .
Old 11-29-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
iron,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. That is pretty cruel and unusual. However if the law is supposed to have deterrent value . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is, Bluff, sometimes I think you intentionally portray a caricature of yourself.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:12 PM

How does this look, for a potential certified letter:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I recently received a criminal complaint informing me of my hearing scheduled for 1/29/08, for offense code M. G. L. ch. 234A, sec 42 (Non Performance of Jury Service).

I would like to take this opportunity to express that I consider myself a good and honest citizen, with nothing but respect for judicial procedure and our American ideal of trial by jury. I am both shocked and embarrassed to have left the court with reason to charge me of such misconduct.

According to the complaint form, the offense occurred on 03/18/04. I was a full-time college student at this time, living in New York state. I can assure you that I have no recollection of being summoned for duty during that time, and if I did know about it I certainly would have been sure to inform the court that I was attending school out of state.

Since college, I have lived permanently at my New York address, and pay my income tax as a New York resident. I am perfectly willing to verify my New York residence in whatever form the court may request.

I regret not having my mail forwarded or diligently screened for me during the time I've been living in New York. Though, I am at a loss to see the fairness behind a criminal charge of Non Performance when I was not living in the state nor even aware of my requested presence. So I am asking graciously for the court's understanding in this matter, and help for how I might proceed in resolving it.

I am willing to cooperate fully if there is any way to resolve this matter out of court. I am proud of my clean record, and certainly do not want to see it tarnished by a situation like this.

Please let me know what options are available to me, and I graciously appreciate your time and help.

Any advice?