Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 01:47 PM

Default Re: What are you proud of as an American?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Safest country ever for religious minorities.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably mean safest country ever for Christians.

"I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God." (George Bush Sr. / interview with reporter Rob Sherman / Chicago on August 27, 1987)

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is still a very safe contry to be a religious minority in relatively speaking. It's not common for people to be killed or severely beaten for thier religious beliefs in this country unlike many places in africa, the middle east and asia.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God." (George Bush Sr. / interview with reporter Rob Sherman / Chicago on August 27, 1987)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you seriously feel threatened by that quote? Do you think we're going to start rounding up atheists and put them in camps? Take away their right to vote? etc, etc.. That post was right on, thanks for the absurd interjection.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the conclusion of this scene where GHWB grabs his Louisville Slugger, and just like De Niro in 'The Untouchables' bludgeons the nearest atheist to a bloody pulp.

Or not.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the conclusion of this scene where GHWB grabs his Louisville Slugger, and just like De Niro in 'The Untouchables' bludgeons the nearest atheist to a bloody pulp.

Or not.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Better then one form of evil != good

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-24-2007, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, this is still a very safe contry to be a religious minority in relatively speaking. It's not common for people to be killed or severely beaten for thier religious beliefs in this country unlike many places in africa, the middle east and asia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don’t get me wrong. I totally agree with everything you said (including with ‘very safe relatively speaking’). I have argued to BigPoppa with ‘safest’ and ‘ever’ words in his quotation. For that statement one should use the best examples possible, not the worst IMO. In other words, it would be hard to find any country in Europe where religious majority is so powerful and privileged against other minorities (either in government or media or in the public). Knowing this, using ‘safest’ and especially ‘ever’ words there sounds like unsuitable propaganda.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Freedom of Speech" does not mean you can say anythning you want and not be criticized for saying it. All the constitution says is that the government cannot make a law restricting your right to speak your mind.

[/ QUOTE ]
An important point.

The term "free speech" gets thrown around alot. The problem is that "free speech" implies that speech is completely free, which it isn't. If it was truly free, there would be no consequences - but there are. By using your right to speak, you allow others to react to it, and they can do so by taking advantage of their right to speak.

You have the right to open your mouth. You do not have the right to tell someone "[censored] you" and not get punched.

I guess I'm just restating what you said [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no positive right to anything to a private organization. To private individuals, we don't have a right to "free speech". The Bill of Rights was intended to limit the federal government only, not private individuals. That's where mistakes like "Net Neutrality" and the "Fairness Doctrine" come in when you apply it to private entities.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:53 AM

boracay,

Try getting an abortion in Ireland.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
boracay,

[/ QUOTE ]
What the hell does that prove? Just because Ireland is worse in terms of abortions, USA is the safest country ever?

I agree with boracay. USA is not the safest country ever for religous minorities, and it's not even the safest country now. Try comparing it with other western European nations, i.e. Scandinavian ones.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In other words, it would be hard to find any country in Europe where religious majority is so powerful and privileged against other minorities (either in government or media or in the public).

[/ QUOTE ]

France is pretty oppressive religiously, although I guess they oppress the majority religion too.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
boracay,

[/ QUOTE ]
What the hell does that prove? Just because Ireland is worse in terms of abortions, USA is the safest country ever?

I agree with boracay. USA is not the safest country ever for religous minorities, and it's not even the safest country now. Try comparing it with other western European nations, i.e. Scandinavian ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me break it down for you, homie. What I posted is an example of a 2007 Christian majority in a western European country forcing its religious beliefs on other religious minorities by criminalizing abortion. If you just want to post lolAmericasucks take it to a MidGe thread.

Also, if you've got some awesome Swedish Hanukkah videos post that [censored], yo!