Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 07:51 PM

Default I am lost... How to get back my game....

Hello!

About a week ago, 28k hands long downswing starts. I am lost about 8 buy-ins (most tilted). First 2-3 days, I avoided tilt and I played my normal game (Agressive game - 15/14/6). But day by day I doubt my skills. Each day I lost buy-ins and won back but sessions ends near the break-even. I got tilted and lost much more buy-ins.

Then I decided to be less agressive and tighten up little bit until the things are okey again - my stats decreased from 15/14/6 to 12/10/3. But now I don't even know what todo. I am still losing money and now I am stacking self with TP/TK! It's unreal! Just like I am lost my skills. Its not normal anymore. Also I am seeing monster everywhere! EVERYWHERE! For example, today I flopped nut straight, I bet and villain calls. The turn paired the board and I instantly went c/c mode because I thought there is again FH outside and I gave quite cheap cards to opponent and I lost tons of value.

Looks like I am tight-weak now. Please, anyone know what helps? What I should do? Any ideas? Any suggestions? Anyone have experienced something like that? I think I move down to NL25 and start playing it again until I feel confident again

I have played poker about a year and I am definitely winning player. And this is not my first downswing but its the worsest and I am afraiding that it may be the last one because looks like it destroying my game, strategy and bankroll if I don't find treatment.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: I am lost... How to get back my game....

Take a break for a week. Watch some poker on TV and play some no-pressure live poker with your buddies and get excited about the game again. Helps me when I'm in a slump.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 PM

Deffinately take a break. Forget about poker for at least a couple days. When you come back, start at 25nl, play fewer tables, and really think things through. Look through your poker ev hand analysis and see where your starting to put it in bad, lose value, and other little mistakes your making. Also I have you losing alot in non showdown pots, wich is the exact opposite it should be for 15/14/6 unless your playing poorly.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:12 PM

I can tell from your post, that you have little confidence left in your play. Moving down sounds like the wise thing to do.

Start reading your books again. I found Ace on the River great for the mental aspects of the game. I believe tilt control to be the most important skill in this game. Learn to be honest with yourself when you are on tilt (slight or full on). Then either calming yourself down and start playing good poker or quit for the day.

When you lose a big pot, don't think about the result, think about how you played the hand. If you played it well, then fine. If you are not sure or think you might have made a mistake, post the HH in the forum.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:21 PM

1. Take a break

2. Take a break

3. Take a break

4. Remind youself it's all about the long-term

5. Start keeping accurate daily records to help with 4. above.

6. Take a break
Old 11-21-2007, 08:22 PM

7. Take a break
Old 11-21-2007, 08:49 PM

8. Take a break
Old 11-21-2007, 08:51 PM

this has happened to me plenty... take a break for a few days.... watch high stakes poker.... play live for micro stakes with your friends and a crate of beer.... when you come back win 3 or 4 buy ins at the 25 tables, then move back up.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:54 PM

DONT TAKE A BREAK, and just play 50k hands at lower stakes where ur not seeing monsters
Old 11-21-2007, 08:58 PM

Luck comes and goes
Skill stays forever