Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 07:01 PM

Default line check with gut shot turned 2nd pair on river

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

MP1 (t5980)
MP2 (t7655)
MP3 (t5710)
CO (t2100)
Button (t3230)
SB (t6235)
Hero (t10915)
UTG (t2585)
UTG+1 (t3835)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls t200, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (t500) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

Turn: (t900) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t200</font>, Hero calls t200.

River: (t1300) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>,
Old 09-17-2007, 07:20 PM

Default Re: line check with gut shot turned 2nd pair on river

ham,

Flop: check/fold or lead

As played;

Turn: c/f

River: I like c/c better because flush draws can keep betting.

Honestly, I believe you're leaking chips here. He is obv kinda weak w/ a J or flush draw. Problem is you have K high so if you're going to play you should really try to blow him off his hand at some point.

Jarid
Old 09-17-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is you have K high so if you're going to play you should really try to blow him off his hand at some point.

Jarid

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that was probably his plan jarid, I make a lot of chips like this, calling these weak donk bets down to the river with some kind of draw that i know i dont really need to hit most of the time, and i assume ham had some kind of plan to make a psb on the end and take him off the hand. Obviously sometimes he doesnt have the 66-1010, and has Ax suited, which calls everytime in these low stakes d-ments, but really not enough of the time to make these calls unprofitable. Obviously when he pairs the king on the end he tries to take him to value town. I assume this was your thinking ham?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:31 PM

ok. 1.if he does have an ace im going to score a decent pot if i 4 out it.

2.he may not have the ace. i may have 10 outs and bluff possibilities. on the turn i knew he was weak. i really should have raised but i wimped out.

3. the river is sheer value bet.i figured he would not call much and also he can't really raise without a straight
Old 09-17-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that was probably his plan jarid, I make a lot of chips like this

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough and why I advocate a flop bet.

[ QUOTE ]
i assume ham had some kind of plan to make a psb on the end and take him off the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, fair enough, but I dont think most would consider this a "standard line". I wouldn't proceed on this line w/out a read on villian. OP should elaborate if this is the case. Too often I get the crying call I guess. Also, c/c, c/c, psb on the river looks alot like missed flush draw.

On the river I think v-town is good against a J and it serves as a block against a big river bet that would be tough to call. Obv c/snap calling busted flush draws or small pair is fun too.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:45 PM

guy had 66
Old 09-17-2007, 09:20 PM

I see you're a MTT reg hamnegger, and that's the only reason I find this thread somewhat interesting. Do you regularly check/call bluffs in unraised pots? Is this a factor of villains bet sizing? Say for instance you had checked 66 here, are you calling the same sized bet?

I usually play very straight forward, and think this is -ev
Old 09-17-2007, 09:33 PM

I think reads are important to pull off a play like this, since on the flop it looks like you're relying mostly on fold equity. Do you think you're getting paid off enough to call with a gutshot? I don't mind a c/c on the flop if you lead the turn and river, where you might get him to fold a better hand. But given that he open limped in MP I personally don't think you're getting the odds to get paid off when you hit your Q (even if you count the 3 remaining Ks as partial outs).
Old 09-17-2007, 11:26 PM

bambam you are correct the play was to take the pot away from him on the turn . this bet is soooo weak hes begging me to take his chips. on the flop i was speculating and no i would not have called w 66.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:27 PM

i was thinking that is the right play too though... if that were me i probably wouldn't have thought of it, and just c/c again.