Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Albums that needed a few listens

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely 10,000 Days. I was pretty suspect of the album even after the first few listens. Now I have a hard time deciding which of Aenima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days is my fav. Tool album.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 1996 or so when Aenima came out, I bought it. I was young, and entering my 'hard music' phase, and all I had heard of hte album was "Stinkfist" (titled "Track 1" by MTV) and I was blown away and bought the album.

Was NOT what I was expecting, I thought that it would be a lot more metal, and I shelved it.

Then I listened to it occasionally casually, while I was playing video games or something, and I realized one day that I absolutely loved it. Still my favorite album of all time.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Streets, A Grand Don't Come for Free.

[/ QUOTE ]

The nuances and self references in album really are amazing.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another choice for me would be Broken Social Scene's You Forgot It In People. I really like that album now, though I like to imagine that it ends after track 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm, I never really got into this album. Not that I didn't like it, it just never stuck with me. Guess I'll have to give it another shot.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
M.I.A. - Kala - This album keeps getting better with every listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I thought this was catchy as hell about half-way through. Plus, she sounded hawt.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Streets, A Grand Don't Come for Free.

[/ QUOTE ]

The nuances and self references in album really are amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, whenever I hear one of the songs, it's like watching a clip from a favorite movie. But at first I thought this album was just intentionally annoying.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:42 PM

Another vote here for Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and to a lesser extent, Sky Blue Sky.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another vote here for Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and to a lesser extent, Sky Blue Sky.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, OOT has prompted me to go and pull out YHF from the W section of my sylishly-adapted apothecary shelving type CD tower thing.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha I remember my buddy used to bump this way back and it made me want to vomit and I couldn't fathom how anyone could possibly think it's good, now it's one of my favorite albums of all time. Same goes with me for most of El-ps stuff, just far from easily digestible.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:33 PM

A few more extreme examples.

I was never a metal fan. So when a friend of mine gave me Metallica's Justice album, I hated it. Took a few months of him constantly bugging me to listen to it before I finally started liking it (and metal in general).

In a similar vein, my sister really liked Ministry's synth pop phase. So she picked up The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste. Naturally, she hated it. She gave it to me. I hated it too. 3 years later, I'm actually into metal now (because of Metallica), and I really dig Ministry's new album, Psalm 69. So I re-buy Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste and find it's a really good album.

A third example, the public library opened a "teen" area which has an immense CD collection. So I'm there every week, picking up almost anything that catches my eye. I see an album with an interesting cover and pick it up. It's the most tuneless piece of crap I've ever heard. The band was Cryptopsy and the album was None So Vile.

Years later, my taste in music has gotten more and more extreme, as I find music to be really extreme to be considered "hard." I find another copy of the album in another public library. I pick it up. Still hate it. The growled vocals that are completely unintelligible is something I can't stand. But it turns out that they fired their vocalist (Lord Worm), and replaced him with a more intelligible vocalist. Those albums aren't bad at all.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely 10,000 Days. I was pretty suspect of the album even after the first few listens. Now I have a hard time deciding which of Aenima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days is my fav. Tool album.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 1996 or so when Aenima came out, I bought it. I was young, and entering my 'hard music' phase, and all I had heard of hte album was "Stinkfist" (titled "Track 1" by MTV) and I was blown away and bought the album.

Was NOT what I was expecting, I thought that it would be a lot more metal, and I shelved it.

Then I listened to it occasionally casually, while I was playing video games or something, and I realized one day that I absolutely loved it. Still my favorite album of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I became aware of Tool about the time I stopped having time to listen to album after album and had to start getting serious about life (yes, I'm old, don't ask). The first time I heard one of their songs, I just stopped and said "That's [censored]' awesome!" I need to hear more of that." Any recommendations on what to start on if I ever get around to it? Also, what is it about 10,000 Days that's hard to warm up to?