Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 09:06 PM

Default KTs gets donked

Both me and villain are deep (186BB effective). I have less than 30 hands on villain but he is running 25/20/3 w 33% wtsd.

No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $186.00
BB: $98.50
Hero (UTG): $202.25
MP: $98.50
CO: $0.00
BTN: $0.00

Preflop: Hero is dealt T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
BB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.50</font>, 2 folds, SB calls $3.00, CO calls $3.50

Flop: ($11.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $10.50</font>, BTN folds, Hero calls $10.50

Turn: ($32.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $7.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $25.00</font>

Thoughts?
Old 10-25-2007, 09:07 PM

Default Re: KTs gets donked

You just turned your hand into a bluff for no reason.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:11 PM

yeah, probobaly better just to call in that spot and call a small bet on river
Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You just turned your hand into a bluff for no reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think he folds some better kings a good portion of the time which is better than calling down imo
Old 10-25-2007, 09:13 PM

Yea I dont think any better hands are folding here. He could easily be donking out with an under/mid pair. I think you should call in position and evaluate on the river. if hes a tougher opponent I'd consider folding because the better players will not let you off easy on the river bc he will put you on exactly your hand. Thoughts?

BTW, bluffing the Ace is really not a terrible idea so in a way I like your line. You may have to barrel the river as well though.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 PM

why are you calling flop? I don't know about you but i'm raising that donk bet most of the time.. raise &gt;&gt; fold &gt; call. c/f later streets if he calls.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:07 PM

I actually like your line here.
I think his weak turn bet when the scare card dropped is ripe for the raising. He is unlikely to call your raise...he will either fold or repop it. If he folds, cool. If he pops it, you can get away from the hand. You probably could have achieved the same effect by raising to $16-20.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:05 PM

Ok, my thoughts. Normally i'd much rather call a donk on lower board ie. T 7 2 or J 7 4 whatever. As it seems villain is decent, the noted boards are generally better for donking with small pairs IMHO as it hits less of PFR's range, and I often do same with sets to balance this strategy. However donking into a K93 rainbow board is much different. I think a fold on flop isn't unreasonable, however I wasn't thinking this deep during the hand, so I call, meh maybe he has T9s or 98s or such.

I was also hoping for comment on the smallish Turn raise. In NL, shouldn't one know before betting if it's for value or bluffing. Clearly not for value here, so bluffing I guess. Since we were both deep, I wanted a raise size that was still signifcant but not too large to make it seem like I wanted a call, and not loose as much vs a reraise. However in retrospect i gave villain odds to call $18 into a $64 pot. arggg! His bet size peeked my thought that he could be weak, but if I decide I'm bluffing should I have raised more?