Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Private Poker Game Busts -- What Happens?

I was reading about the poker game that was busted in Roswell Georgia...has anyone heard what happened to the people who ran this game?

I always hear about what happens to the players: Their cars towed, fined etc. But rarely is there a follow-up about the punishment that the runners of the game recieved. Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to or what usually happens to the game's operators.... Do they actually spend time in prison?

Thanks a ton!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Private Poker Game Busts -- What Happens?

no they dont. i played w/ an ex vice squad cops and he said all they was give tickets to the man who ran the game, if at all. most of the times they just shooed everyone away like an underage drinking party.

other way around it is get the game big enough where its w/ people important to the city and they wont do anything
Old 04-17-2007, 09:37 AM

There was a home game in Winchester, VA that got busted last Spring. All of the players were charged with Class III misdemeanors for illegal gambling, the dealers were charged with Class I misdemeanors for illegal gambling, and the host was hit with five felony charges for operating an illegal gambling operation. Most of the players plead no-contest, were convicted, and received $50 fines. The charges against the dealers were knocked down to Class III misdemeanors and they got $50 fines too. The host copped a plea with the state. He paid a large fine and is on probation for the next three years. Violation of his probation will result in the re-instatement and prosecution of the felony charges.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There was a home game in Winchester, VA that got busted last Spring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think each state is different, but Home Poker games in Virginia are legal provided it is non-raked game. Here's a link to the law

Here is a website that has a summary of the different states, laws, and penalties around poker.

State Gabmling Law Summary