Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 03:05 PM

Default NL25 - Defining Position Ranges

Hey guys, longtime lurker but infrequent poster. I'm really trying to work on and reshape my game so I'll be trying to tap into the vast knowledge that exists here.

Anyway, I've been thinking alot lately about the hands I play and from what positions I play them, etc. I'm trying to open up my game so that there is a glimmer of hope that I can improve enough to get out of NL25.

Having written everything out, I have a basic question for you guys. When looking at my PF strategy, I define EP as the 1st 3 positions, MP the next 2, and LP as the cutoff and the button. Is this absurdly tight?
Old 05-24-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: NL25 - Defining Position Ranges

standard is UTG and UTG+1 is early, next 3 are MP1-MP3, then CO, then button, then SB, then BB

not sure about 10-man tables, but I guess UTG+2 is considered early.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
standard is UTG and UTG+1 is early, next 3 are MP1-MP3, then CO, then button, then SB, then BB

not sure about 10-man tables, but I guess UTG+2 is considered early.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, when I switched to cash from SNG's I developed this tighter than tight game (since I was getting my feet wet) that let me turn a small profit. Part of that tight strategy was making 1/3 of the table EP! I've just never changed it and now that I've been working with PT for a few months and see how my stats look, it's clear that it is nowhere close to optimal play.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:18 AM

I usually play 10 handed and I consider the first 4 positions to be early. I don't play a very tight game (I'm 26/10 pre-flop) but I find that playing this way keeps me out of trouble when OOP.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:28 AM

I think i depends on how many tables your planning on playing. If your only playing 4 tables than you can be a lot looser with your starting hand requirements because you'll have a better idea of who your playing against. I personally like to 9 table so its much better/easier/profitable to play a lot tighter.

You also need to consider the stakes that your playing at, at the 25nl, the majority of the people are complete noobs so your no really gonna want to "open up" very much. Your going to make the majority of your profit with tptk or set mining just basic strategy. Playing 87s against an early position raise with Q7s isn't really going to help you turn much of a profit.
Learn not to bluff a lot, and when you do bluff, bet big. Thats the lesson for the low limits, bigger bets work great at scaring low limit players, but remeber DO NOT do this at the higher limits. It only works with complete newbs.
So for your question in early position i only limp with any pair, occasionally AK in hopes of a reraise. And Raise with AK, AQs, AA, KK, QQ sometimes JJ sometimes limp with AQo but generally fold it.
If you want to open up your game than play short handed, then you can have fun. Don't try to have fun at full ring.