Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 06:20 PM

Default $11r - JJ on Button w/limpers

PartyPoker $11 Regular Tournament, Big Blind is t40 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t2000)
UTG+1 (t2000)
MP1 (t2000)
MP2 (t2000)
MP3 (t2000)
CO+1 (t2000)
CO (t2000)
Hero (t2000)
SB (t2000)
BB (t2000)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t40, MP1 calls t40, MP2 calls t40, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, Hero?

First hand of the tourney. Most times in EP or MP, I'll treat JJ like 22-TT and just limp on level 1. On the button, I'm tempted to throw a nice raise as it seems like it has too much value to play for set value only in this position. Curious how others play JJ early on.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Re: $11r - JJ on Button w/limpers

I very rarely limp JJ for for set value, your leaving money on the table playing it like that. Use your position and make it 240. Probably the only time I'll limp JJ is if I am in the blinds levels 1 and 2 and there are 3+ limpers ahead of me.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:35 PM

I would never limp along with JJ at any tourney &lt;$33. I only say that because I haven't played a $55+, but I probably wouldn't limp along there either. Definately raise to 200-250ish.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I very rarely limp JJ for for set value, your leaving money on the table playing it like that. Use your position and make it 240. Probably the only time I'll limp JJ is if I am in the blinds levels 1 and 2 and there are 3+ limpers ahead of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay, not sure what level you play at but don't you find yourself in alot of tough situations with JJ early on since you'll flop an overcard 60% of the time here? Just curious if you'll raise more with JJ to try and thin the field.

P.S. I do like making it 240 here though.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:48 PM

I play 22 regs and yes you can get yourself into sticky situations with JJ early. When that happens I do something called 'playing poker.' Not every hand has is going to be a boring robotic hand with one answer. Sometimes we have to make tough decisions, that's what being a poker player is all about. You're seriously leaving a lot of money on the table playing JJ like this. To back it up a little I checked out my pokertracker stats for the early levels and my BB/hand is much higher with JJ than it is for the pairs I play for set value 22-99.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play 22 regs and yes you can get yourself into sticky situations with JJ early. When that happens I do something called 'playing poker.' Not every hand has is going to be a boring robotic hand with one answer. Sometimes we have to make tough decisions, that's what being a poker player is all about. You're seriously leaving a lot of money on the table playing JJ like this. To back it up a little I checked out my pokertracker stats for the early levels and my BB/hand is much higher with JJ than it is for the pairs I play for set value 22-99.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay, did you think I was criticizing you or something? Simply not the case. Was just picking your brain. Didn't need the comment about "playing poker". Obviously not every hand has one answer. Hence, my post asking for opinions. I'm a solid winner at the $11's. Just asking about your strategy. Appreciate the input but don't understand the defensive attitude.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:17 PM

Sorry if I came off a bit stand-offish, it just sounded like you wanted a magic bullet for playing JJ when there isn't one. I apologize, I misunderstood. Playing JJ is usually very situational, post or PM me some specific hands and I can give opinions.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:41 PM

I raise here a large majority of the time.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:01 PM

A question on my own play here...(not hijacking, lol)

I like the raise here too, but I tend to raise a bit more (say to ~300) for a couple of reasons...

1) I am actively using position as stated above, but what I am really hoping for is squeeze play.
2) If I do get called, the chances mathematically are higher for AK-AT (depending on opponents) as opposed to AA-QQ, so even if I get called, most of the time, I am charging opponents more to try to catch me.
3) If I am called, this early in the tourny I get a chance to use position again to evaluate the flop and opponents, thus I don't feel so bad about risking a bit more.

Am I off base on this? Trying to be aggressive and plug leaks at the same time, but one of my recent primary goals is to figure out ways to have a few more chips by the time I get to the bubble. This is one of the situations that has been somewhat helpful in that quest.

Thanks.
Fammy