Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 04:02 AM

Default live straddle

canterbury 15/30. 3am. yesterday morning
Entire table on tilt and the table agreed to rounds of live straddles.
straddle hand K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
sb only player to not be in this hand. me and third position cap the pot 8 ways to the flop
window flop K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. bb check, i bet out, UTG,UTG+2,hijack,CO,button,bb call.
turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. bb bets into me, 4 left to act... now or later?
things to remember.
i straddled.
entire table is terrible.

if this post is too boring, another thing i pondered last night. While i was giving up equity to live straddles, what kind of increased return was i getting when the rest of the table was also straddling, but playing with and against straddles poorly?.... i love live limit
Old 04-24-2006, 04:10 AM

Default Re: live straddle

First instinct is to raise, but calling keeps them in almost for sure, but if you think [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]'s and whatever other random hands they have will call 2 raises cold or even 3-bet for no apparent reason then by all means raiseeee it up.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:19 AM

I think I like a call and hope somebody else goes wild and raises it for you. Then you can wake up and 3-bet while all the guys drawing dead will put more money in the pot. Raising may get some diamonds and PPs and A's (which you want calling) to fold merely because it's a paired board and the bet's double sized.

If you think they're aggressive enough to raise somewhere down the line, call and let 'em. It's too bad the turn bet came directly from your right.

Anyway, I wish these were the kinds of problems I had.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:46 AM

Agreeing to straddle along with a bunch of monkeys is a very bad idea. By creating huge pots you now have far less opportunities to outplay them since the pot size will dictate that you play similarly to them after the flop.

A table full of tilters is majorly +EV for you. Why would you throw it all back by joining them? If the table is absolutely that nutty there are plenty who will straddle even when you don't.

If this doesn't convince you, go back and read the relevant sections of HPFAP (re maniacs).
Old 04-24-2006, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreeing to straddle along with a bunch of monkeys is a very bad idea. By creating huge pots you now have far less opportunities to outplay them since the pot size will dictate that you play similarly to them after the flop.

A table full of tilters is majorly +EV for you. Why would you throw it all back by joining them? If the table is absolutely that nutty there are plenty who will straddle even when you don't.

If this doesn't convince you, go back and read the relevant sections of HPFAP (re maniacs).

[/ QUOTE ]

or, you know, you can play better and win 10 racks in an orbit.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:19 AM

now. any big [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] will call 2 here and maybe some moron is already there.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

or, you know, you can play better and win 10 racks in an orbit.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, YOU can't, but some people can, yes.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:42 AM

later
Old 04-24-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the general agreement was, everyone straddles, or noone straddles. I had the most chips at the table, so at one point it was really up to me to keep the table live straddling. I decided that night, rounds of straddles improved my edge. Especcially when i made correct folds while straddling preflop.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:31 PM

"If this doesn't convince you, go back and read the relevant sections of HPFAP (re maniacs). "

While looking for that section I came across the one where it says that you do not want people to know you think about the game bc. it might remind them that they too could think about it.

Being a wet blanket at a fun table on tilt is definitely -EV IMO.

to call or to raise depends on the players and his image at the time. Only OP could know what was right. Not being there at the time, I think a raise could be best if there is a big diamond and a 2 out.