Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Flopped Boat Hand

Hehe when discussing slowplays I couldn't help but think of this hand from today:

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, 2 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (10.5SB, 3 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (17.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 23.35BB

I won. So how much would slowplaying have cost me here? :P
Old 09-21-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

you are going to make more money against his trips when you raise the flop and he 3 bets. then you can consider getting fancy and calling, and then raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
he check raised the flop, call the raise and raise the turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry i was xposting, forgot the action.

anyways what badger said is 100% correct.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:56 AM

You know, when I read just the topic title, before opening the topic, I already said to myself, "Yes, you should keep raising." Any topic title with a big hand in it needs two pieces of advice: don't slowplay, and don't fold.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:56 AM

i agree but, in general, he is going to bet into you on the turn no matter what hits and no matter what he has. although, i like your thinking badger.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:00 PM

I do sometimes use that play: calling his flop c/r to raise the turn, but usually with less strong hands, and especially in smaller pots. There is a point where slowplaying doesn't matter anymore; you might as well put your hand face up because the pot is so big he is not going to fold anymore anyhow. You don't gain much from deception. In fact, such a tricky line may slow him down with a reasonably strong hand (such as T9 here)
Old 09-21-2007, 12:30 PM

Never did find out what his cards were. Busted [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]flush draw or? He would have pushed &amp; shown down any T at all and not likely that he had a 7. Knowing his style, he would
have gotten those hands to SD for sure. He only called my PF Button raise so he could have had several possible hands.

Maybe Scarmilgio can weigh in here at some point on BB' possible hand and the way the hand played out in general.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
call flop, raise turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Yuk, no. Please stop doing this if you like money. One of the largest mistakes I see online are slowplays.

(The donk way of playing a set: donk has 77, villain holds KJs. Donk limps, Villain raises, Donk calls. Flop is A7Tr, donk checks, villain bets, donk calls. Turn is the 3r, donk check, villain checks. River is the Q, donk bets, villain raises, donk 3-bets, villain caps, donk calls and complains about the horrible suck outs.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This hand example isn't anything close to what youlosepork was advising.

EDIT: I mixed up "donk" and "villain" and thus exaggerated. It IS close, but as gg points out, being OOP makes a big difference here.

-McGee
Old 09-21-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
call pre flop, call flop, raise turn

[/ QUOTE ]

awful.

[/ QUOTE ]

While perhaps not optimal, youlosepork and gobbledygeek's line of b/c flop, raise turn isn't nearly as bad as you guys are saying it is.

-McGee
Old 09-21-2007, 12:49 PM

HoneyBadger, your example has you OOP to the villain; doesn't that make things quite different from OP's hand (cuz there is the chance of slowplaying letting the turn check thru)?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyBadger, your example has you OOP to the villain; doesn't that make things quite different from OP's hand (cuz there is the chance of slowplaying letting the turn check thru)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I was just making fun in those 2 examples... my other comment is better. I did say I sometimes use the play.