Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Road Rage Suggestion

[ QUOTE ]
am what I consider to be a very conscientious driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I grab a Sharpie marker and a notebook from my glove compartment, and write the following in big letters:

WHY ARE YOU SO RUDE?

OLD = DYING SOON?

[/ QUOTE ]

in the middle of driving on a highway going 60+, you wrote down a message to flash to stupid old people?

nice.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But, I tend to get very annoyed when other drivers do stupid, inconsiderate, or dangerous things. I particularly hate when the left lane is closed, there has been signs indicating this for 2 miles, and cars in the right-most two lanes have slowed and merged to keep traffic flowing smoothly, yet jackasses insist that their time is more important than the other folks who are promptly merging in order to keep traffic from being bottlenecked, and zip by before forcing their way into line when the lane actually is removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

How far in advance of the merge point must you merge to be considerate? Seems to me traffic should use two lanes as long as they are available to be most efficient for the traffic as a whole, and all should merge alternately at the merge point.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:25 PM

WTF is wrong with people? A couple of weeks ago locally, a retired cop shot a guy 7 times after they had a dispute over who had the right-of-way at a 4way stop.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:31 PM

amead, there was no part of your post that I didn't like.

Punk has a good point about you possibly killing yourself, but I still thought the sign was funny. I've always wanted a lightboard thing too.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:47 PM

dangerous, this is how i got in an accident before but i like
Old 06-11-2007, 05:15 PM

i am glad i don't drive. there are all kinds of morans on the road.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe you should get a programmable lightboard for each of your windows so that you can properly propagate your message.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have wanted one of these for years.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:20 PM

It didn't seem dangerous to write the message. If I didn't realize I had the supplies for this handy in the glovebox, it wouldn't have worked.

I'm a bit curious about the claim that this was how you got in an accident. Writing a note to another motorist? Sweet.

I don't see the relevance of the 4-way stop sign shot thing, this is merely a way to ask someone to consider wtf they are trying to accomplish when being a jackass unsafe/impatient driver.

As for merging, I could be wrong, but it seems that the problem with traffic jams when merging is that people wait to funnel into 2 lanes from 3. I feel that if people gradually do this over the course of a half mile to a mile or so, everyone can keep their speed. But when people jump right to the merge point, they have to jam on their brakes and try to knife in.

Perhaps a traffic theorist could shed some light, but it just seems like the clusterf&** happens right at the spot when the lane ends, and the times when people have orderly merged in advance, things seem generally faster.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But, I tend to get very annoyed when other drivers do stupid, inconsiderate, or dangerous things. I particularly hate when the left lane is closed, there has been signs indicating this for 2 miles, and cars in the right-most two lanes have slowed and merged to keep traffic flowing smoothly, yet jackasses insist that their time is more important than the other folks who are promptly merging in order to keep traffic from being bottlenecked, and zip by before forcing their way into line when the lane actually is removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

How far in advance of the merge point must you merge to be considerate? Seems to me traffic should use two lanes as long as they are available to be most efficient for the traffic as a whole, and all should merge alternately at the merge point.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct in heavy traffic. In bumper to bumper traffic, merging at any time other than the last possible will slow everyone down and risk collisions. At the merge point, traffic merges in a basic alternating manner.

J
Old 06-11-2007, 05:23 PM

Is the reason for this that in bumper to bumper traffic, if someone merges right, the people behind will automatically shoot forward and take up the newly created space in their lane?

Because I hate that too. I suppose you are right in a jam/bumper to bumper situation, because there is no speed to conserve anyhow with everyone being at stop and go already.

But when traffic is flowing, people just need to get the hell over and not wait until the last second for some stupid game of "I don't have the right of way but I'm coming anyways" chicken.