Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-22-2007, 08:54 PM
 is offline

Default Raising Questions

I have two questions on raising that I could not find an answer to in the genral rules I found. Any info would be appreciated.

1. To raise a players bet ,I was under the impression that you had to double that players bet. Meaning the whole bet,

Ex. if the blinds are $25/$50 and a player makes the bet $75. For you to raise you would have to make it $150 correct?

In a discussion the other day some players I was playing with said that you only had to raise as in the above example the amount over the bb, which was $25 making your raise from the bet a tottal of $100 [$50bb + (25x2)] which was twice the amount over the bb + the bb.

I was always under the impression it was just double whatever the bet was. Am I correct?

2. Also another question I have, I believe has to do with tournaments but is not a rule in cash games. Im not sure how this rules is but below is a situation where it occured. Details on action is not %100 correct so please bare with me.

During a live tournament that I was in the other day a situation arose that I did not understand. I am not complete on the information as the hand went down.

There was three players involved in the hand and somehow there was a bet then a raise then the third player pushed all in. The first player called and the second player tried to push all in but was told he could not.

This has happened on stars once or twice but I never bothered saving the hand history to see if I could figure it out.

I searched online for texas hold'em rules and basically found the same general outlines rules that didn't dig into details.

If anyone has any information on the rule, it would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:01 PM

Default Re: Raising Questions

1. if the blinds are 25/50 the first player would have to make the bet $100 (twice the big blind)
The raise would then have to be a minimum of $200.

2. I am not sure about. I think it depends on whether or not the bet constitues a raise....
If A bets and B calls C goes all in for LESS than the minimum raise, A and B can only call.

If the all-in was more than the minimum for the raise than other players can go all in as well.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:03 PM

Concerning question #2, it is likely related to your question #1. That is, it has something to do with not being a complete bet (full amount of minimum raise) or maybe the rule is if it's more or less than one-half of the minimum raise. What I'm trying to say is that if the player who pushed all-in didn't have enough to meet the minimum raise, then no one to act after him could re-raise. Now there is something about "completing the bet" which allows further money to be brought in to allow it to come up to what the minimum raise would have been but I am not sure if that is only in limit games (which is what I have played primarily).

Hope I am not confusing you more but I believe it had something to do probably along those lines which no doubt someone else will be much better at explaining than I.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:06 PM

Well, once again, it took me so long to type out my response that someone else had already submitted an answer before mine posted! This happens to me a LOT...LOL. I guess I need to start refreshing the page first before I post after I see how long it takes me to type out my replies.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. if the blinds are 25/50 the first player would have to make the bet $100 (twice the big blind)
The raise would then have to be a minimum of $200.

[/ QUOTE ]

False. The raise would have to be 150. the raise to 100 is a 50 dollar raise from the 50 dollar blind. the next raise would have to be at least 50 dollars, so a raise to 150 is legal
Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 PM

1. Normal rule is a minimum raise must equal the previous bet or raise. Blinds of 25/50. Player bets 75. This is a raise of 25. Next player to act, if she should decide to raise, must raise minimum of 25. Add the 25 to the bet of 75 and you get 100. (Unless the player is all in the bet of 75 should not have been allowed. Min raise should be 100. BB is 50 and he needs to add 50 to it to equal the min raise - 50+50=100)

To help in remembering this you just need to 1. double the current bet (if no raise) or 2. add the raise amount the current bet. THis will give you the minimums.

2. Only way for this to happen is the all in is not enough to equal a legitamate raise. Sometimes this amount is half the required amount to raise, other times it needs to be the full amount. So if it doesn't meet the requiremnts it's basically a call, just with more chips. So now the reamianing players have two choices - call for more chips or fold.

Hope the helps

Good Luck