Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 10:18 AM

Default 3/6 couple lines vs maniac

Been a while since I played against a maniac, the type who four bets with air on all streets, plays 90+% of his hands, and can really disrupt a game. This is a line check on a couple of hands. Only one other guy at the table seems to have made villain for a maniac. The other three are tilting and chirping in the chat.

Hand 1:

Hero is BB with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG limps, Maniac raises, Good Player calls, Button calls, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero bets and intends to get it HU with maniac.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Maniac bets, hero raises, maniac 3-bets, hero calls, intending to call down UI.

Glad to see games like this, but I felt a bit rusty. Haven't had a guy this crazy since party.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: 3/6 couple lines vs maniac

Doh, wrong forum. meant to put this in SSSH. Mods - can you move it? Still not used to these drop down menu thingies.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:50 AM

Hand1. I find two-pair hands to be very vulnerable so I like trying to thin the field this way. I hope you got a lot of bets in.

Hand2. Looks ok, if he really is raising any two cards you should probably cap pre-flop. If you think he'd 3bet the turn or river if you raised and you're not comfortable with the idea then a call down (baring you improved) is good.

Hand3. Dont know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], 88 is probably a little low to cap if you think the other guy is good, but you need to ask how light has he started to isolate the maniac? You could be well ahead of his range, but then you're probably seeing that flop 3 handed OOP.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:53 AM

I would probably cap the last hand. The good player is opening up here so you have good equity. You might be able to use the maniac to push out the other player as well.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably cap the last hand. The good player is opening up here so you have good equity. You might be able to use the maniac to push out the other player as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cap hand #3 aswell. The others look fine.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:27 PM

Hand #1

Getting HU with maniac would be my first priority too. If he's autoraising flop, then betting out seems like the way to do it.

Hand #2

I cap PF. You're ahead an absurd amount of the time.

As played, I think the amount of flop action is appropriate. Never fold.

Hand #3

I wouldn't cap the last hand.

88 is very hard to play OOP against two villains in a hand that is guaranteed to go to showdown. I'd like to see a flop first, and hopefully use the maniac to trap the third player for extra bets on a baby flop.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Hand 3 was 5-handed, btw.

I didn't want to play a big pot oop with a mediocre hand against the good player. BB was still to act, and I knew the maniac was capping. Seemed expensive for 88 there on the one hand, but also seemed weak when I let it go. Like I said, I had to blow the dust off my maniac play.

I'll check my hh when I get home. There were some other strange hands, mostly calldowns HU vs. the maniac where I knew I was good but couldn't bring myself to raise him. Missed some bets.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the feedback.

Hand 3 was 5-handed, btw.

I didn't want to play a big pot oop with a mediocre hand against the good player. BB was still to act, and I knew the maniac was capping. Seemed expensive for 88 there on the one hand, but also seemed weak when I let it go. Like I said, I had to blow the dust off my maniac play.

I'll check my hh when I get home. There were some other strange hands, mostly calldowns HU vs. the maniac where I knew I was good but couldn't bring myself to raise him. Missed some bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

The variance is higher, but you would raise the good player if he had just opened and not 3-bet the maniac. This situation is really not different, except that the maniac is adding money to the pot, which means it's going to be more difficult to win this before the river. There are still a lot of good flops for this hand and you have good equity.