Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 10-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: Hearing a word the first time in your life.

[ QUOTE ]
by the way, what is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

A pretty sweet beck album imo.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have had the experience of reading a word and sounding it out in my head but upon hearing it spoken I realize I was pronouncing it wrong.

eg.

centrifical

i had read it but not heard it and pronounced it SEN-tri-fic-al, when it is actually sen-TRIF-i-cal.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's centrifugal

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you're sharp, I'm a physics major and didn't notice that [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

And when I first read Jurassic Park as a little kid, definitely thought it was "chows" theory.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have had the experience of reading a word and sounding it out in my head but upon hearing it spoken I realize I was pronouncing it wrong.

eg.

centrifical

i had read it but not heard it and pronounced it SEN-tri-fic-al, when it is actually sen-TRIF-i-cal.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's centrifugal

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

spelling obviously not a strong suit either.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for me it was

chaos = CHah-ohws

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, thought the same exact thing as a kid. And I knew what the word meant when I heard it spoken, guess I thought it was spelled like the evil organization KAOS on Get Smart.

I had the same thing with the word "annihilate"...had read it and heard it a thousand times, but didn't realize they were the same word until I was about 15.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:10 PM

Hyperbole = Hyper bowl.
Another one is people who think there is a letter in between k and p called ellemeno
Old 10-28-2007, 01:17 AM

haha francona just said bravado in the post-game interview.. that's really something.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

eg.

centrifical

[/ QUOTE ]

it's centrifugal

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you're sharp, I'm a physics major and didn't notice that [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

And when I first read Jurassic Park as a little kid, definitely thought it was "chows" theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was a physics major too... and i don't know if i'm that sharp, i am also in the CHA-ows camp. it was about the time the game "dr. chaos" came out for nintendo.. hmm, i was 7
Old 10-28-2007, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

eg.

centrifical

[/ QUOTE ]

it's centrifugal

[/ QUOTE ]
hyachachachacha as a physics major this tilts me hardcore. 99% of the time someone refers to a centifugal force it doesn't exist, you're just being pulled in by a centripetal force, but since you're not getting any closer to the centre of the curve you think that there's a force pulling you out [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

For content, I heard the word eloquent, or eloquence in a hip hop lyric a few weeks ago and I've been using it ever since, really nice word.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
experiment time! i have never seen nor heard of "sea change".. let's see if i hear it again

[/ QUOTE ]

You must not be a Beck fan (Sea Change is the name of one of his albums and the first time I ever heard the term was when it came out).

Anyway, the phenomenon described in OP (which I now know is called "confirmation bias" and will probably hear that term several times in the near future) exists in other forms of expression besides individual words...I remember an old employer of mine using Thomas Mann's Death in Venice as an example of a book that you never heard of until you read it, and then you suddenly find references to it everywhere.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:06 PM

I used to think colonel was like colonial or something weird. Also I thought yacht was read yatch even though I knew what a yacht was.