Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Bizarre injuries you\'ve suffered

In early June of this year, I fell down an escalator at a metro station in D.C. breaking my nose, orbital bone, gashing my face in a few places and knocking out one of my front teeth. I hit the escalator step so hard that some of the metal was lodged into the tooth that was lost. I was hospitalized for 24 hours, missed 3 weeks of work, and now have cool scars that look like three evenly spaced vertical lines above my right eyebrow (like an escalator step).
Old 09-27-2007, 09:01 PM

TB hockey player Dan Boyle recently was injured in the locker-room after a pre-season game. He was chatting with a teammate and put his skates on a peg around his locker but they fell and the blade of one of them sliced a tendon in his wrist. He's out at least 6 wks.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...OE=click-refer
Old 09-27-2007, 10:56 PM

In 9th grade I ran track. I went to a small school and we allowed everyone to join the team regardless of ability or mental handicap. Anyway, one of the mentally-challenged kids decides to try shot put. While I am running the 800m, and rounding the turn, I hear "watch out!", and turn my head just in time to get clocked by a shot put that was being tossed by the kid. i took it right in the upper corner of my forehead and went down hard. luckily he hadn't thrown the thing, just tossed it, or my skull would have been crushed. But I got a concussion (obv) and still have a lump on the forehead. It covers up well w/ my hair but if I lean my head back and pull my hair away it's pretty obvious. Bobby wasn't allowed to touch the shot after that day.

I've also broken my hand in a fight, and gotten my finger knicked by a saw blade wo major consequences, but figured those accidents weren't that out of the ordinary.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am 40, which means I was a kid in the early-mid '70s. At that time, big zippers were in. I had a pair of shorts with a huge zipper in the front. When I was about 7 (figure 1974), I was in a phase where I didn't want to wear underwear. So I put on my shorts with the big zipper, sans underpants, and zipped up my sack real good in this huge zipper, to the point that the zipper could not be moved without causing extreme unbearable pain. They had to cut the shorts off me.

[/ QUOTE ]
So, you're saying There's Something About Mary is your life story?
Old 09-27-2007, 11:18 PM

Oh yeah, and mine is of course that my face got smashed into pavement from three stories and had to be reconstructed. I'm probably 2 points less hot than I used to be (and then I put on all my old weight which is like another -3).
Old 09-27-2007, 11:43 PM

OK, a couple of mine have been taken...pencil lead in my left leg, 2 oddly bent fingers from my being horrible at football (I [censored] up my left pinky just last month while whiffing on an interception, and I think I'll get it X-rayed now that a previous poster mentioned 15 years of pain..ugh). Other notables include:
--When opening my locker in high school, I had a sheet of paper flutter off the top shelf and looked up just in time for the edge of the paper to hit me, dead center, right in my open left eye. Couldn't see right for a month.
--At home, we had a weird sliding door leading into our kitchen that we never used...one night I guess my mom decided to close it for some reason, and at 3AM I plowed into the door face-first on my way to get a glass of water. Stumbled back in the dark holding my bloody nose and proceeded to trip over the edge of a couch and whack my head on a table. Good times.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:55 PM

I was playing baseball in 4th grade and got thrown a wild pitch and didn't get out of the way in time. The ball hit my nose and shattered the bones into several pieces. I then had to walk around with a nose cast on and bags inserted into my nostrils to keep the support up so it wouldn't collapse. I also had my hand on a beach chair one time near where the metal gear on the back adjusts the recline. Somebody pushed the chair down and it sliced the joint of my pinky and hand open and nearly cut my finger off.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:12 PM

* I was taking a shower and was washing my face. My hand just slipped and my finger went into my eye.

Now, I'd poked myself in the eye before, I normally blink for a few seconds and I'm fine. But this just would not stop hurting. I was hurting all day long, had to stay home from work. Finally, my wife comes home and drives me to the eye doctor. Turns out I badly tore my cornea. I ended up having to patch my eye for a couple of days and had to wait for it to just heal itself.

* A year later, I'm driving to work with my wife. All of a sudden the same eye just develops a terrible pain. The same pain I felt a year before. But I wasn't doing anything, just driving a car. The doctor said I had a "recurring corneal abrasion." Basically, my cornea was weak because of my previous injury and the stress from blinking tore the cornea. The remedy was the same. And to prevent it from happening again, I had to put lubricating drops in my eye every day. The same thing happened again a few months later, where I woke up and tore my cornea again.

I've never had the problem since then.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At 15, I broke my wrist in two places playing Parcheesi as my wrist hit the underside of the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys are all confused about the butterknife but this gem has slipped through. Parcheesi hurt him, lol.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:40 PM

I was like ten or twelve my my brother and I were throwing water balloons out the second story window of this old Victoria house.

The problem with these old storm windows is they weigh like 120 pounds and the latch is basically a metal pin that fits into a drill hole in the wood.

So I throw this balloon out, turn with my hand on the sill and ask my brother for another balloon. I hear the window drop, it slipped out of the hole, and honestly feel nothing. I look over and my fingers are already turning blue, and are on the other side of the glass.

Not wanting my parents to beat the crap out of me for throwing water balloons, I have my brother race around and hide all the stuff before we lift the window off my hand.

I had seven breaks over fingers in mutliple spots, four knuckles that had to be braced and pinned cause they partially shattered. To this day if I crack my knuckles it sounds like a machine gun.

Water balloons man... water balloons.