PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t1565)
UTG+1 (t1800)
MP1 (t4470)
Hero (t1395)
Button (t1420)
SB (t1560)
BB (t1290)

Preflop: Hero is in CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t60</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, BB calls t30

Flop: (t135) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t135) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets t60</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t120</font>, Hero calls t60

River: (t375) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets t60</font>, Hero calls t60
Old 06-04-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Re: AA played bad or unlucky?

is this a nl or limit sng...looks like limit
Old 06-04-2007, 10:41 AM

Raise more than the minimum preflop. t90 is standard although in a $1 SNG you could probably raise more and not really fold out many (any?) more hands than 90.

When you raise, it should be for either isolation purposes, for value, to take impetus, or to bluff. Usually you'll get a combination of those things. You obviously aren't bluffing with AA and you take impetus with any size raise. But raising the minumum doesn't do much for isolation purposes (any hand that will call 30 will probably call 60 and AA isn't going to do great 4-way) and you're also not building a pot against hands that call you. These 2 things sort of seem to conflict with each other, but they don't really.

Let's look at 2 hypotheticals.

You'll often see a chain reaction take place in a cheap SNG when you raise small. You make it 60, button reasons to himself that he's getting good odds and is in the best position so he calls light (50%), SB reasons that he has great odds and calls really light (75%), BB reasons that he is getting such good odds at this point that he can't fold anything (100%). There's 240 in the pot going to the flop and you have about 60% equity.

.6 * 240 = 144.

Now let's say instead you make it 100. Button folds, SB folds, but BB likes his hand enough to call. So 200 going into the flop, but with less people in the pot, you have MUCH more equity, usually about 84% or so.

.84 * 200 = 168.

So this is a good illustation of how raising more can actually be better than raising a small amount, even when you have a monster. AA is a hand that fairs better heads up than it does against a bunch of people seeing the flop. Even though only one person called a small raise in this hand, I wouldn't expect that to be the norm in a small stakes SNG.

Anyway...

As you played it, I'd bet the flop just because in a $1, I think a lot of hands will call that don't have a king. In a higher stakes SNG I would probably prefer the check since people play tighter and this is a pretty way ahead/way behind situation where you aren't likely to get a lot of action from non-king hands. So basically checking the flop would serve 2 purposes - it would help you to lose less against kings and help you to win more against non-kings since I think waiting until the turn or river to bet would get far more value out of non-K hands.

As played through the flop, I'd bet more on the turn, strictly for value and I like just calling the raise there.

On the river, in a $1 I would definitely raise just because this looks like some sort of ridiculous blocking bet with Qx and I don't know if he can talk himself out of calling or not. Sometimes it will be a king, but this dinky bet of 60 into 375 just doesn't look strong to me. I think there's some value in a raise to t275 or so, maybe even something in the 300 range. If he shoves, that's a tight spot but you could probably fold at that point.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
looks like limit

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-04-2007, 01:43 PM

Oh, also in the event that this is a fixed limit SNG, then preflop is good, bet flop, turn bet is good as played, 3bet turn as played, and raise river as played.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:25 PM

I`d be surprised to see already 2 ppl busting out with blinds 15/30 in a limit event [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

anyways, bet, bet, bet. nothing to add to wiggs long post.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:45 PM

nice post wiggs
Old 06-04-2007, 04:00 PM

Fold or raise the river, either you think you have him beat and raise for value or you think he has you beat and fold.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
either you think you have him beat and raise for value or you think he has you beat and fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm trying to find a good way to word this but I can't really, so I'll just spew it out...

There are definitely times when calling on the end is better than raising or folding (so you can't always say ok, either i'm behind and should fold or i'm ahead and should raise for value).

The easiest example to think of is when you're in a situation where an opponent would always bet a better hand than yours, would sometimes bet a worse hand than yours (that is to say, over the long run, some people would bet a worse hand in that spot and some wouldn't), but would never call a raise with a worse hand. So in that example, if you're getting correct odds to call (compare pot odds to how often you NEED to be ahead so how often you THINK you are ahead) but you shouldn't raise because there's no value there.

Hopefully that makes sense, even if it's a bit rambly.

But I still think hero should raise here, bc it's just my opinion that villain will not only bet a worse hand here often enough for a call to be profitable, but that he will also call a raise often enough for a raise to be profitable.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
either you think you have him beat and raise for value or you think he has you beat and fold

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm trying to find a good way to word this but I can't really, so I'll just spew it out...

There are definitely times when calling on the end is better than raising or folding (so you can't always say ok, either i'm behind and should fold or i'm ahead and should raise for value).

The easiest example to think of is when you're in a situation where an opponent would always bet a better hand than yours, would sometimes bet a worse hand than yours (that is to say, over the long run, some people would bet a worse hand in that spot and some wouldn't), but would never call a raise with a worse hand. So in that example, if you're getting correct odds to call (compare pot odds to how often you NEED to be ahead so how often you THINK you are ahead) but you shouldn't raise because there's no value there.

Hopefully that makes sense, even if it's a bit rambly.

But I still think hero should raise here, bc it's just my opinion that villain will not only bet a worse hand here often enough for a call to be profitable, but that he will also call a raise often enough for a raise to be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree with the exemption that this is a $1 +$.20 STT. They will call with a lot of hands that AA can beat. JJ, TT, Qx, 9x and so on which would make the raise more right at this time.