Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: The Well: Pudge714

What are some things that online players have to aware of and/or adjust to when transitioning from online mtts to live mtts? Name as many different type of strategy changes you might make or think are important to fully utilize your skills.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What are some things that online players have to aware of and/or adjust to when transitioning from online mtts to live mtts? Name as many different type of strategy changes you might make or think are important to fully utilize your skills.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've only played one live MTT. So my experience is limited. I have also played a bigger event, where other events have shallower structures, here is a list of things.

Don't get bored. Playing 8-12 hours of live poker in a day is really boring, most of the time you will spend folding junk. If you think 1-tabling online is boring, try 1-tabling live where you get 30 hands an hour.

Pay attention to all the information you have. Stuff like the age of a players can be very important in playing.

Also for that matter pay attention to how guys play, whenever there is a showdown notice it and so on.

Take your time when acting. BigT was at my table at day 1 of the PCA. Whenever he opened a pot. He would look at his cards. Throw a chip on his cards to protect them. Think for about 10-20 seconds than act.

With live reads and more information you can make big folds. I didn't have the time to make a big fold like some I have heard of, but I did, c/c, c/f with Ax on a AAyz board. Also playing deeper it is easier to make big folds obviously. In online MTTs guys are much less afraid of putting there tournament life at risk. So that means when going allin guys will have nittier ranges.
In live tourneys with big buyins a lot of the field is happy to breakeven or double there money. Pwning the bubble is much more effective live.

That's all I can think of now. I would expand on reading people, or coaxing people into calls or stuff like that, but I suck at it. Also Alan you would be much, much better at answering your own question, but obviously you knew that when asking it.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:12 PM

If you were to coach a person who wants to start playing poker, how would you go about teaching them the game? Would you start off w/sngs then go to nlcash, then online mtts, then live mtts? Or some combination of limit HE, all the other games first/middle/etcetc? Would you start them off being super tight or would you allow them to play super LAG to get in weird spots? (more of a postflop cash thing) How long do you think it would take for them to be a winning player? Do you think there are even advantages to mastering all the different types of games listed above? What are the major benefits of learning say SNGs (and all the others) that could apply to other forms of HE? Also... would you start teaching them PLO/Stud/etcetcetc or just stick to HE?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:13 PM

You've played with me just a little, but you've responded to a lot of my posts. How would you analyse my play based just on this information? How confident are you in making an analysis based on this information?

TheUsher's question about online mtts to live mtts: what about strategy changes from online to live generically (i.e. not mtt specific).

There is a HUGE difference between an avg 5 year old and an avg 10 year old. Any 'normal' adult male over 150 lbs should be able to destroy a group of 12 5 year olds.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:17 PM

In terms of poker, where were you(buy ins, skill level) a year ago, where do you see yourself a year from now.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:23 PM

How do you manage all f things that Party has banned . poker phrophecy , poker edge , publish HH , etc
Old 03-13-2007, 06:23 PM

Alan,
I don't think Pudge would teach anyone to play Limit. Like I've tried playing limit a little when bored to learn it a bit and I don't think I'm +ev at 3/6 limit. It's just so easy to keep raising.

I'll ask some questions

When if ever do you plan on moving to cash?
Who's your final four? What sleeper are you taking deep?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:26 PM

I saw a post where you were talking about the possibitly of moving down if you didn't cash in the sunday mil. Can you give us the story behind that? Do you think you will be forced to move down?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:31 PM

How long did it take for you to become an expert SNG player?

How much of your progress do you attribute to the people around you (inyaface, etc)?

Where do you see yourself five years from now?
Old 03-13-2007, 06:36 PM

Will poker ever be legalized in the US?