Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Setting up a Canadian proxy server

[ QUOTE ]
BPN,

Regarding trying to spoof one of the banned sites with a VPN, isn't it the case that at least with party which is the most aggressive in intrusion on a customer's computer, that a person using a VPN solution as you advocate would also have to start with a fresh machine? I was under the impression that they collected machine specific info to identify you like your mobo or hdd serial number.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't researched the specific info Party stores, but you are correct to a large extent. If you uninstall Party, then reinstall and create a new acct, your machine will still be known to Party as being previously used under your old acct.

I've seen a HowTo for complete removal of Party Poker, but can't remember if it was on 2+2 or not [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I'm too busy answering PM's from a Zoo post to check now....and I'll soon be going zzz, but tomorrow I'll try to search for the "Party cleansing ritual" if nobody else comes up w/ the howto link.

edit: BTW: thanks for pointing that out...some people I've been talking to will definitely need that info, and I hadn't considered a prior install.
Old 01-21-2007, 02:54 AM

Well I don't see how you can cleanse a hard-wired serial number, but only registry entries and the like. I doubt other sites that don't currently take americans go to that kind of trouble, but I'm pretty sure party does. If you knew for sure they didn't get mobo info, then just swapping hard drives would do the trick.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:16 AM

AFAIK, they store the info on your computer, not their servers. Basically, their uninstall program leaves behind some reg keys that identify the prior acct. While I agree Party *could* record system-specific info on their servers, and they *are* pricks, I have no evidence that they actually engage in such practices. I'd be very interested in hearing any facts you have that are contrary since it is obvious that if they store computer-specific info on their end, nothing changed by the user will make up for it (on the same hardware) and that would be needed information. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:29 AM

BPN,

I have no specific knowledge but was assuming they did store the info on their servers as in the past here I have read that the previous methods to cleanse a computer of all traces were failing to work. Of course I didn't really care enough to keep up with it as most of that stuff was rakeback related, and mabye people just figured out some different place on the customer's computer they were storing the stuff and how to clean that too. Also the only other poster here I know for sure is still playing on party said he did so after getting a new computer, which he had already planned to do shortly after the ban.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:51 AM

BPN,

I forgot to ask you something I was wondering about in one of your earlier posts here about a VPN dropping connectivity. Can that happen on the client end or only on the server end or both?
Old 01-21-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BPN,

I forgot to ask you something I was wondering about in one of your earlier posts here about a VPN dropping connectivity. Can that happen on the client end or only on the server end or both?

[/ QUOTE ]

both, and everywhere in between. this is the biggest thing you have to watch out for. seriously.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BPN,

[/ QUOTE ]

both, and everywhere in between. this is the biggest thing you have to watch out for. seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Although I did notice my last dropout was caused by a ADSL hiccup. I also lost my IRC, IM, and SSH sessions on another computer that wasn't going through the VPN.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BPN,

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not a major issue. You create firewall rules that do not allow the host to connect to anything but the VPN concentrator.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BPN,

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not a major issue. You create firewall rules that do not allow the host to connect to anything but the VPN concentrator.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, that didn't make much sense with that quote... Grab the wrong thing. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Anyway I was addressing the concern of the poker client connecting to the server from the host if the VPN drops.

My $0.02 on reliability of VPN... If you have good connections on both sides, and good equipment on both ends, you are not going to have a lot of problems. Even if you do, they are not likely to be long lasting. Bottom line is you are going to have an outage about as often as you do now with a none VPN connection. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2007, 08:56 PM

Percula,

In order to do what you say, i.e. not allowing the host to connect to anything other than the VPN concentrator, don't you have to be able to set up a 2-tiered firewall rule structure? First it checks to see if VPN is working, and if not only allows connection to the VPN, but if it is, then the 2nd set of firewall rules apply to regulate normal traffic. What I am asking, is whether a firewall allows you to set up a double test where it first checks the VPN's connectivity, and then applies another set of rules.