Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2007, 05:23 PM

Default SAGA - New MMORTS beta

I've always been a big fan of the persistent online games. Unfortunately, the MMORPGs are so ridiculously time consuming, I cant take one up without screwing up other parts of my life. I've always been a little fascinated with the MMORTS idea, just because it really hasnt been done right yet, and it (ideally) would be a great kind of persistent world that wouldnt require you to level for 1125370 hours, or play in quests that consume half of your day.

Well, I stumbled across this game called Saga. It is a MMORTS (Massively Multiplayer Online Real Time Strategy). It is in a free open beta phase, but unfortunately is not getting a whole lot of attention. I dont think they are advertising at all right now. The game will obviously get much more interesting and dynamic once the player base is larger.

In short -
You run a kingdom, manage your army, and complete quests to gain experience, equipment, resources, and more units for your army.

In addition to the battles, you also manage your kingdoms peasants/building/resource collection, which eventually bring income to further fund your army.

PVP is live, but needs tweaking

Guild vs guild is in development, It may work, but I am not sure yet.

All in all, a very solid free game that is exploring a genre that really hasnt been mastered yet.

the website is http://www.playsaga.com/ I am not affiliated, but would definitely like to see their playerbase grow.

I'm still fairly newb, but some tips for new players -
-Your race doesnt really matter right now - they are still balancing. Just pick whatever sounds cool.
-Your army is made up of "cards". They are somewhat like magic cards, but they represent units on the field. You start out with enough for a small army. You can only use cards that are alligned with your race. DO NOT SELL the cards that you cannot use. Try to trade them for other equally powerful cards.
Example - if you are Magic, you will start out with a bunch of stock units, 2 magic cards, and 8 cards of different alignments. Instead of selling these 8 other cards for gold, try to trade them for 8 more magic cards to enhance your army.

-In your city, first priority for buildings are houses. Just make a crapton of them.

-The best way to get resources is completing quests. Your city will not produce very well until late game - and for the moment your city is more useful for PVP (which is very good for resources)

-The first thing you should do when you create your kingdom and start playing is:
1)Go to the website
2)Log in under "My Nation"
3)Click booster packs
4)Click to recieve 1 of your 8 free booster packs
5)Reveal the cards you are given.

The booster packs are extra army units that you can use/trade, and are very valuable. You get 1 free per day for 8 days.

I hope to see more of you in there. The player base is quite small right now, and overrunning them with poker players would be pretty fun [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If anybody has questions i'll try to help, but i'm still fairly new.

TLDR notes
SAGA is a new MMORTS open beta
website at http://www.playsaga.com/
It is free/fun. try it.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: SAGA - New MMORTS beta

I was bored. I'm looking at it, but there seem to be a bunch of script errors of something that make it comprehensible
Old 09-30-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was bored. I'm looking at it, but there seem to be a bunch of script errors of something that make it comprehensible

[/ QUOTE ]
On the website? I use firefox and have no problems...

You have to log into the game and create a nation before you can log into the website...
Old 09-30-2007, 07:59 PM

You'd think that, but you don't. I opened a pack of cards already I think. lol.

The client is slowly downloading. I was hoping this would be something similar to TribalWars just run through a browser. I'll still give it a go. It'll amuse me for a week maybe.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:30 PM

Thx for posting -- I am dling right now and will check this out.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:51 AM

i'll check it out
Old 10-01-2007, 10:32 AM

LOL - i dont know if its the decade old graphics, or maybe it was playing it for 4 hours until 2am...but this game makes my eyes REALLY red
Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 AM

my basic impression is that it is meant to be very similar in battle to the total war series. The city building I haven't gotten much into since I just started. Getting resources is a pain. Also I don't know that light was the best choice, but I'm barely into the game.

I seem to get an error any time I click on NW. I guess I have a NW territory now or something which I can't view. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my basic impression is that it is meant to be very similar in battle to the total war series. The city building I haven't gotten much into since I just started. Getting resources is a pain. Also I don't know that light was the best choice, but I'm barely into the game.

I seem to get an error any time I click on NW. I guess I have a NW territory now or something which I can't view. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, they've acknowledged the NW territory bug and say it will be fixed with the next patch. So far you can only unlock NW, N, NE, and W.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:36 PM

Well the graphics are a bit primitive and I have some annoying bug where I crash after 75% (no joke) of the battles. However, this is kind of a fun game. Lots of units/customization with equipment. Hopefully pvp will be fun.

I am using the buy option to at least get an idea for the value of the various cards. Is this reasonable?

Also, I have a siege drill out on the market right now if some mech guy wants to trade magic.