Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

[ QUOTE ]
Dave Meltzer reporting that Chuck Liddell/Wanderlei Silva has been verbally agreed to. Hopefully this [censored] gets finalized for real this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont get why this is good/exciting - isn't liddell a joke now?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also looking like Fedor is going to M-1. Though it also sounds like M-1 was bought or is being funded by an American company (Cuban maybe??)

[/ QUOTE ]

Rumors I've heard are that it's neither Cuban nor Ed Fishman, but someone who has had no financial interest in MMA up to this point.

[ QUOTE ]
i dont get why this is good/exciting - isn't liddell a joke now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, for starters, two losses does not destroy a fighter. Chuck was KO'd by what looks like the best 205er on the planet right now, and lost a tough fight to Jardine.

Has a lot of the luster of this fight been lost in the past year? Yes. However, if Fedor/Randy isn't going to happen in the near future, this is probably the biggest "dream fight" right now. The reason this needs to get done NOW is that the longer it's put off, the more relevance it loses. Chuck is still one of top (if not the number 1) draws the UFC has. Most UFC fans should know Wandy, if only from Dana bringing him in the cage.

This fight still has an incredibly interesting backstory going for it. Is Chuck still able to hang with the elite? Has Wandy recovered from 2 brutal KOs? Plus the obvious Pride vs. UFC crap that'll get pushed in the hype videos.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:34 AM

Any thoughts about tonight's show?

Again tonight's fight was a total joke, which ended in the 1st round. That joker doesn't look to hasve a fighters body to keep up with these guys, just totally outclassed. I think both coaches looked pretty good tonight. Serra is looking like a great strategist in the sport just like Couture is and Hughes carrying that kid to the car shows a lot of class.

Speaking of dream fights... Mine is Houston vs Rampage, I get goose bumps thinking about it.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:28 AM

The only good thing about tonight's show was the promo for next week's show, which looks like it should at least have some drama to it. That, and Dorian saying he was just gonna go over and drop some "superlatives" on the boom operator.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:54 PM

The fight was pretty awful but in that guy's defense, he landed some solid blows, and he literally just fell down when he was moving away. Hope his knee isnt hurt too bad but it didnt look good. Not saying he would've won had that not happened, but its a pretty major factor.

And yes, Dorian's unintentional comedy, e.g., "dropping some superlatives", is one of the best parts of this show.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:42 PM

Wow. Fight Network and Meltzer are saying that Randy quit.

Link

Crazy stuff
Old 10-11-2007, 03:51 PM

WOWOWOWOW.

Holy crap.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:57 PM

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news...l&gid=8236
Old 10-11-2007, 05:07 PM

This is unsurprising. The UFC has been monopolizing the MMA industry, and seem from all the figures I've seen to be paying way below market value to their fighters. I would expect the pay of top MMA stars to rocket over the next few years (even if revenues remain static) as increased organizations compete for the best fighters.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is unsurprising. The UFC has been monopolizing the MMA industry, and seem from all the figures I've seen to be paying way below market value to their fighters. I would expect the pay of top MMA stars to rocket over the next few years (even if revenues remain static) as increased organizations compete for the best fighters.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is surprising. There is not one person yesterday who would have said Randy Couture would quit the UFC.

Your analysis of the situation is correct though.
Closed Thread