Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Boston Area Poker Club Robbed

So I debated weather or not to post this but figured it could be a good lesson for those of you who choose to play in “poker clubs”. This robbery happened the middle of last week at a Boston area club. The club was robbed by 5 guys dressed as State Troopers with Automatic Weapons and bullete proof vest and ski masks. Two of the five guys were black, which would not normally be of any significance except I think I read online (maybe 2+2 but I couldn’t find the post) about a similar team of 5 guys (two black) hitting up a poker club in another state. Probably just a coincidence but I thought I might mention it to see if anyone else experienced the same thing somewhere else. This oddly would make me feel better that management was probably not involved.

Anyway, we were sitting there playing and the guy running the games announced “the police are here”. A little bit of back ground about this club it is protected by two sets of locked doors. Each of which a person must show there face to a camera and be buzzed in. The first is standard door with clear glass, but the second enforced with steel bars and tinted to prevent people from seeing inside. I would think they could keep a group like the ones who robbed it out for quite a while unless they had the right equipment to break through (I doubt they did).

They didn’t need to though because according to the guy running the club the first guy came to the door showed a badge to camera. At this point he also claimed the guy came to the door without a mask on. So, he let them in thinking it was a police raid. They acted and looked like cops at first. They came in saying they were the state police and that this was a raid for an illegal poker game. They told everyone to get on the floor around the tables and then one by one ushered people at gun point into a large room. They were total pricks yelling at everyone and constantly asking if anyone had a gun. Anyone who looked at them was immediately to “don’t f*in look at me or I’ll kill you”. This seemed like odd behavior for a police raid to me, but I’d never been though one and they had what looked like automatic weapons with laser scopes so I did what they asked. I think they were real guns because a bullet was left behind, I guess they could have been fake. Everyone was hoarded into a big room and put face down on the floor. They bound everyone’s hands behind their backs with plastic ties and said “everyone is going to jail” Still acting like cops or trying anyway they asked who ran the club, was there any guns or drugs. The guy running it stepped up immediately.

This seemed appropriate for him to step up and take the heat. I would say generally a good thing. They started to interrogate him and continue to ask if anyone had a gun … This seemed reasonable that were concerned about it but I bit odd because they were overly concerned. Also I was kind of wondering where are the rest of the cops there was only 4 guys in the place at this point. The guy started to press him about the club and the games and if he was running illegal poker and where was all the money. They he went on about “if I can’t find the cash I can’t charge you with anything”. Then he started to hit the guy running the game with the butt of his gun (M16 I think but I don’t really know much about guns) and kick him too. I was thinking what the f* no cop would act like this….ohhh you tool we’re being robbed.

So the interrogation of the guy running the game and the lead thug carried on for about 3-5 minutes. He kicked him a few times and hit him again. Meanwhile the rest of the guys were either going through the club looking for the money or busy robbing everyone in the place. They cut up the pants on everyone and took all their cash. They claimed to be looking for drugs, but I have never heard of cops cutting everyone’s pants in a poker raid looking for drugs. I was really hoping that the guy running the club would just give them the money so they would go. Then something weird happened. They found drugs on someone and they called the guy running the club by name and said they were going to pin the whole thing on him. They were still trying to act like cops but I think it was obvious at this point they weren’t. They started making wise ass comments like “fat ass” “poor boy” and “retard” to the people they were robbing. Also they said if they found drugs they were going to pin it on the guy running the club. Come on, were they even trying to act like cops anymore? I guess it didn’t matter since everyone was tied up anyway and they had guns.

So they found all the money, probably in the neighborhood of 50-60K. Then just like that they all ran out the back door. All that was left was a group of tied up poker players with all their money gone and pants cut up. Pretty humiliating actually. The cops weren’t called so it was the perfect crime. The guy who ran the club a huge welt on his head but everyone else was untouched and fortunately no one was hurt. They were all broke but unharmed.

So in thinking about it a couple of questions arise. Could it have been prevented? Was it a setup and was someone inside involved, even management?

I think the right thing to do would have been to call the cops when the guys first came to the door. There is no downside because if you are getting raided they are there anyway. If you are getting robbed it is much better to have the cops come and keep everyone safe. This would also deter people from trying to rob this game. I don’t think they could have gotten in if he didn’t let them in and called the cops. I would recommend that anyone going to a club ask the club what they would do in this situation. If they say they would call the cops and they do when it happens, not only are you safer you know they aren’t in on it.

I of course don’t know for sure if management was in on it or not. I really like the guy and think he is pretty cool, but an incident like this is of course going to bring up that question. I hope he wasn’t and feel bad for him if he took a legit beating and the money was lost. That being said these guys had inside information and they hit the club on the busiest night by far. They called him by name which could have been from their insider info or they could have screwed up. I don’t know but it’s suspicious. I like the guy, I really hope he didn’t set everyone up. He talked about it after and seemed to be legit about the whole thing, but who knows he could be a decent actor. He was like how the f* did they know my name? Maybe it was an act, maybe it wasn’t I don’t know but unfortunately the doubt is there. The one thing that makes me thing he wasn’t in on it, is that he runs a pretty good, profitable game to higher end games. I wouldn’t think it would be worth it to rob your own game but I know these things happens a lot, especially when the management gets hit or beat by the crooks. This is info from one of my friends. Hid dad is a MA cop. According to them it is more likely that management is involved when they are actually hit in the robbery.

So I thought I’d share this with you guys for your own safety (physically and monetarily). Remember that the biggest danger when playing in these clubs is not the police but a robbery.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Boston Area Poker Club Robbed

Cant people pay the game runner for chips in advance and he can hold the money in a safety deposit box somewhere or something? Then cashouts can be done as requested? I wouldn't be comfortable having that much money loose.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:45 PM

Are there even two black troopers in all of Mass?
Old 04-13-2007, 06:43 AM

it doesnt make any economic sense for management to be in on it. think it through.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:26 PM

It makes sense that someone knows the management. The theives probably cased the place prior to the act. Proper security procedures would include metal detectors, locked up cash and other measures. This is the prime reason why poker needs to be legalized.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:11 PM

Mesmerized by Grasshopp3r's avatar.... mmm bad girl.

I attended a game similar to the one described just over a year ago with my hombre kdog. Same setup (double doors, cameras, had to call ahead first, complimentary beer and food - no liquor license of course) but I did not feel safe there. The place I went to had no cash on hand - patrons bought chips from the house and the house raked each pot, but the banker only held the buyins. So basically the total cash on hand was equal to the chips in play.

Three young Greek guys ran the game I played at. They claimed to be "connected." The game was great - lots of bad players - but the place didn't feel right. We left early that night (like 11:00) to find a cruiser out front parked behind the line of patrons' cars. Never went back to that game.

I told kdog that though it was exciting to check the place out, Foxwoods is only an hour away. Why take unnecessary risks, especially if you're playing that high.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:22 PM

Just a small gripe, I highly doubt they were carrying fully automatic weapons. If it looked like an M16 it was probably an AR-15, which is a semi-automatic version of the M16/M4.

The guy running it was a fool for not asking to see a warrant. Even SWAT would have a warrant, they would just bust down the door before showing it to you though. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2007, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cant people pay the game runner for chips in advance and he can hold the money in a safety deposit box somewhere or something? Then cashouts can be done as requested? I wouldn't be comfortable having that much money loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the club isn't that big. Only two tables on the busy night, usually 1 on most other nights. There is a safe in there but it's never locked. I am sure if the money was locked they were still going to get it.

[ QUOTE ]
it doesnt make any economic sense for management to be in on it. think it through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably you are right, but you can't discard the possiblity because guy running the game doesn't own the whole thing. I'm not even sure what his cut is. Also he could have pockted half the cash and pulled one over on the guys robbing the place. It would be a nice exit strategy. These guys definately had inside info though from someone who plays, worked or played there. To make up for the amount taken would take a few months anyway with expenses. These were pretty big games.

[ QUOTE ]
It makes sense that someone knows the management. The theives probably cased the place prior to the act. Proper security procedures would include metal detectors, locked up cash and other measures. This is the prime reason why poker needs to be legalized.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree on all accounts

[ QUOTE ]
Just a small gripe, I highly doubt they were carrying fully automatic weapons. If it looked like an M16 it was probably an AR-15, which is a semi-automatic version of the M16/M4.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I didn't stop to ask if it was the semi automatic or automatic version pointed at my head. I figure the result would be the same just a little less messy with the semi-auto version.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:53 PM

At the end of the day if someone has a semi auto or auto weapon they will still give equal respect!

I know it's late to say, but if theres a police raid phone the police before you let them in and then try to stall! Phone 911 or something and say you are being raided by people dressed as police officers, they will tell you if they are genuine. Perfectly acceptable to phone 911 in that situation.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad. I didn't stop to ask if it was the semi automatic or automatic version pointed at my head. I figure the result would be the same just a little less messy with the semi-auto version.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's just a pet peeve of mine, but why assume it's automatic? Why not just say "a gun that looked like an M16." Having a gun of any type pointed at you isn't exactly an experience people are likely to want to have happen to them.

People automatically assume any "military" looking gun is fully automatic.

No, it would be just as messy if they chose to fire with a semi-auto, the mess would just take a little longer to make. The same applies if it were a bolt action (although at least with a bolt action you'd have some time to run!).

Regardless, I'm glad no one tried anything silly and they everyone is alive. Losing some cash is a much better alternative to losing your life.