FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 9. FR SB w/ AKo
Raise 26 63.41%
Call 12 29.27%
Fold 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: A-Rod opts out of contract

Mikey, if you've been following onlinebeginner's post for even the past day you'll realize he is one of the most non-troll non-sensical posters ever. So just have fun with him or something, don't bother taking him seriously.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mikey, if you've been following onlinebeginner's post for even the past day you'll realize he is one of the most non-troll non-sensical posters ever. So just have fun with him or something, don't bother taking him seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to see what his top 10 list looks like if he thinks Nate's is so bad.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Trying to PREDICT the past. Not merely describe it. Thus, EV. Using the limited data that we have from the past, predict what would happen in, say, 100 iterations of the past. IOW, what is the EV of each decision/player. Exactly the opposite of all the things you just said.

[/ QUOTE ]

This phrase has no meaning to me, "100 iterations of the past". It is not well-defined. The past happened once. If we iterated it 100 times we would get the same outcome 100 times.

Anyway, I think you kind of get my point, you just disagree. My only goal here is to point out that it's a weird thing we do, pretend we can go back in time and re-roll some dice of our choosing, but not others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talking about the past is only useful insofar as it helps us in the future. Simply listing a bunch of facts that happened in the past serves no purpose. Its what we draw from those facts, in order to make predictions about the future, that has value. It isn't weird at all. When we play these hypothetical games, what we are trying to do is come up with theories or rules or inferences or strategies, things that will allow us to better solve problems in the future. Looking at Eckstein winning a WS, what do we learn? Well, that depends. There are many inferences we can draw from that. So we need more information. Taking all of the information we have, we can create a synthesis that has predictive power. Something like "fielding a team full of 5'7" grit-monsters = World Series baybeee" or maybe "there is tons of static and noise but gimme the guys who dont make outs and who hit the ball really hard and we'll win more games."

You play poker right? Do you ever review hand histories? Why? Is it to memorize what hand won in hand 146,795 and who held it at the time? Or is it in an attempt to synthesize all the data you have and come up with general strategies and theories to improve your game?
Old 10-30-2007, 09:50 PM

Never really thought about him going to Philly before. Howard, Utley, Rollins, A-Rod. God that's a sick IF.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never really thought about him going to Philly before. Howard, Utley, Rollins, A-Rod. God that's a sick IF.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd say that would possibly be the greatest IF to ever play the game. Also Nate is right that the Phils have more cash than they like to admit, but Arod is a luxury and we need pitching. Of course if he wants the HR record more than the cash its a lock ;0) I even almost believe it.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 PM

Runs are runs. Why does it matter where you get them as long as you do? A-Rod will give them a lot more runs over their 3B situation.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 PM

christ, a-rod in philly would be crazy. although the curse of a-rod combined with philly's city-wide drought could create some crazy vortex of anti-mojo that would destroy the universe. but other than that it would be great.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd say that would possibly be the greatest IF to ever play the game. Also Nate is right that the Phils have more cash than they like to admit, but Arod is a luxury and we need pitching. Of course if he wants the HR record more than the cash its a lock ;0) I even almost believe it.

[/ QUOTE ]
A-Rod, Jeter, Cano, Giambi could be better.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:03 AM

Howard: rapes Giambi's 120 GP
Rollins: > than Jeter
Utley: Rapes Cano and rapes all of life, really
A-Rod: even I guess

Don't see how it' sclose
Old 10-31-2007, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Howard: rapes Giambi's 120 GP
Rollins: > than Jeter
Utley: Rapes Cano and rapes all of life, really
A-Rod: even I guess

Don't see how it' sclose

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you overuse that word -- and typically when it makes no sense. Some repressed violent urges?