Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 10:19 AM

Default NL50: preflop with QQ

It's my second orbit. Hero does....

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $51.55
BB: $51.25
UTG: $58.25
CO: $80.35
BTN: $32.05

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $2.00</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $6.00</font>, BTN calls $6.00, Hero ?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:23 AM

Default Re: NL50: preflop with QQ

CO's range could be JJ+ and AK, BTN's range a little wider... id call here and see the flop, if theres a A or K its a check/fold, if its all undercards then either a PSB or a strong c/r to take down the pot (im not so sure about the second option). if met with resistance then im not really sure what id do...
Old 08-20-2007, 10:27 AM

If I call then UTG and cutoff have the chance to squeeze. I'm also OOP in a big pot. Am I wrong to think this is a push or fold situation?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:34 AM

Interesting spot.

Readless you can consider 4-betting (and fold to a shove). This is a great squeeze play, because more likely than not you are beating the PFR and the button. Your main concern is the CO.

If the CO were to flat you, then you can commit on any board J high or smaller. He will show up with JJ occasionally when the J hits, but most of the time you take the pot down on the flop.

If you just call, it gets tricky as well. If the original PFR re-raises you have to toss your hand (probably the easiest decision to make). If he flats, well, now you have some problems.

With 4 players, you'll have a $24 pot with $45 behind. If the board comes J high, you are committed to the hand. You can lead for pot and call any shove, or CRAI, but either way you are going broke with the hand. The thing that sucks here is that you have 3 players seeing the flop with you.

4-betting pre-flop costs you a little more pre-flop, but with the dead money and your equity against CO's re-raising range, you are not in terrible shape, but again... if you re-raise to say $15 and only the CO calls, you have a pot that you cannot fold your hand with unless an A or K comes on the flop. More importantly, you are likely to get heads-up, which is much much better for QQ than 3 players.

My gut tells me I want to go ahead and RR pre-flop, fold to a pre-flop 5-bet/shove. If he flats, then I commit my hand on non-AK board.

The main problem is that no matter what action you take the pot is going to be nearly 1/2 of what you have behind or more and you will be in a position where you cannot fold your hand if the board comes AK-free.

Knowing that, I'd rather take my QQ up against 1 opp than 3 opps.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I call then UTG and cutoff have the chance to squeeze. I'm also OOP in a big pot. Am I wrong to think this is a push or fold situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found that pushing QQ pre-flop *readless* is -EV. I need the right opps to make that move, otherwise I'm always called by AA/KK/AK and everything else folds.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:40 AM

F that...look at all that overlay in the pot. I want that money. I'm 4-betting all in. Most of the time I expect a fold from all parties. I'm forcing CO to have KK/AA and I'm not letting AK get away on a non ace flop. I fully expect to see CO with TT,JJ, or AK. Button probably has a similar hand but couldn't bare to throw away his 99-JJ (cuz he obviously had set odds, right?) Seriously, punish these guys.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting spot.

Readless you can consider 4-betting (and fold to a shove). This is a great squeeze play, because more likely than not you are beating the PFR and the button. Your main concern is the CO.

If the CO were to flat you, then you can commit on any board J high or smaller. He will show up with JJ occasionally when the J hits, but most of the time you take the pot down on the flop.

If you just call, it gets tricky as well. If the original PFR re-raises you have to toss your hand (probably the easiest decision to make). If he flats, well, now you have some problems.

With 4 players, you'll have a $24 pot with $45 behind. If the board comes J high, you are committed to the hand. You can lead for pot and call any shove, or CRAI, but either way you are going broke with the hand. The thing that sucks here is that you have 3 players seeing the flop with you.

4-betting pre-flop costs you a little more pre-flop, but with the dead money and your equity against CO's re-raising range, you are not in terrible shape, but again... if you re-raise to say $15 and only the CO calls, you have a pot that you cannot fold your hand with unless an A or K comes on the flop. More importantly, you are likely to get heads-up, which is much much better for QQ than 3 players.

My gut tells me I want to go ahead and RR pre-flop, fold to a pre-flop 5-bet/shove. If he flats, then I commit my hand on non-AK board.

The main problem is that no matter what action you take the pot is going to be nearly 1/2 of what you have behind or more and you will be in a position where you cannot fold your hand if the board comes AK-free.

[/ QUOTE ]Nice post. So if you 4-bet preflop and an A or K shows up on the flop you just check/fold, right?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found that pushing QQ pre-flop *readless* is -EV. I need the right opps to make that move, otherwise I'm always called by AA/KK/AK and everything else folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

No competent villian is going to put a third of the effective stack in with 99-JJ anyway. Unless a Q flops, your push on the flop will likely only be called by hands that beat you and you'll lose the equity you had against AK.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:57 PM

would post this in full ring man. At 6 max I wouldn't consider folding but I know for certain full ring is a lot different.

edit: lol wrong thread, I call.