Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 04:51 AM

Default T5s Small Blind No callers

Hi
AS I am new to this I am unsure what to do with hands similar to the above.
So I have T5s in the small blind should I be
folding
calling
Raising
I understand that I should have some idea on the type of player the big blind is but say I dont
I am playing at micro limits

Any general suggestions much appreciated
Thanks
Old 05-18-2007, 04:57 AM

Default Re: T5s Small Blind No callers

definitely be check calling or reraising all ins, duh. make sure you dont have a tell such as waiting like 6 seconds to push or something cause thats really obvious and like people will call with like K6 and stuff. hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
definitely be check calling or reraising all ins, duh. make sure you dont have a tell such as waiting like 6 seconds to push or something cause thats really obvious and like people will call with like K6 and stuff. hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree for the most part except that this is a really good hand and I usually try to slowplay it so I don't push that often. Especially from the SB where you can check raise.

You also have a chance at a fourth nut-flush draw and if the flop comes down something like 678 you have a lot of outs.

Don't ever fold this hand from any position.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:47 AM

For specifically T5s:

NL - fold
Limit - raise
Old 05-18-2007, 08:05 AM

Just fold for now in NL or limit, unless it's a heads up game. As you get more experience & get better at playing weak hands like this out of position, you'll also start to recognize under what circumstances you should fold, call, or raise.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree for the most part except that this is a really good hand and I usually try to slowplay it so I don't push that often. Especially from the SB where you can check raise.

You also have a chance at a fourth nut-flush draw and if the flop comes down something like 678 you have a lot of outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize it's considered good form on 2+2 these days to ridicule players who ask naive questions, but please do not do that in this forum. This is a place for people to ask those questions without being worried about being made fun of. There are plenty of forums here where this is fine; keep it out of this one.

To the OP, ignore these two bits of "advice".
Old 05-18-2007, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize it's considered good form on 2+2 these days to ridicule players who ask naive questions, but please do not do that in this forum. This is a place for people to ask those questions without being worried about being made fun of. There are plenty of forums here where this is fine; keep it out of this one.

To the OP, ignore these two bits of "advice".

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey sorry about that, was on a bit of tilt, didn't realize this wasn't accepted here.

But for some serious advice. I would definitely drop some money on one of Sklansky's books before you get too involved at the tables if you are just starting out. I'm re-reading NLHE Theory and Practice right now, and it teaches a lot of the basic (and not so basic) math behind poker odds.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just fold for now in NL or limit, unless it's a heads up game. As you get more experience & get better at playing weak hands like this out of position, you'll also start to recognize under what circumstances you should fold, call, or raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is much better advice than what I said. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 AM

Thanks
I did not realise that some posters were not nice people.
I will now not take for granted any advice I might get so in a way this has been useful.
Many thanks SheridanCat and to DoubleA tom grow up
Old 05-18-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I have T5s in the small blind should I be
folding
calling
Raising
I understand that I should have some idea on the type of player the big blind is but say I dont
I am playing at micro limits

[/ QUOTE ]

If you always do one of those things, pick "fold".

Since you are new to the table and don't know much about the BB, always fold.

Eventually, you will want to sometimes (5-10%) raise with this hand to steal the blind or catch a monster flop. The main reason is that if you never raise with a trash hand, then your opponent will know that when you do raise, you have a good hand -- which means you don't get much value on your good hands.