Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 02:48 AM

Default Re: A Thought I Just Had (psych/theory)

jman writes:
[ QUOTE ]
A chess player doesn't get mad when his opponent makes a move and then hits the little clock thing just because he has to move again. That's how the game works. It's just his turn again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you see Kasparov's match against Deep Blue in which Kasparov got so flustered when realizing he was going to lose that he stomped off and accused IBM of cheating?

I think a distinction can be drawn from your post:

(1) 'not caring' in the sense of being satisfied to make good decision regardless of outcome, and

(2) not caring in the sense of being unconcerned with the fact that another player has acted in such a way that you now have no easy, good decision to make.

My question for you vis (2) above is: How can you tell yourself 'well this is just another opportunity for me to make a good decision and I should be happy with that' when what really bothers you is that you now have no clear, good decision to make?

-J
Old 02-10-2007, 04:42 AM

Posts like these freaks me out, I mean isnt this standard ss reading?

Results doesnt matter decissions do

Edge times volume equals profit, expect a bumpy ride

Your opponents plays is the expression of how his mind percieves the situation, get his mind and you own him

etc etc

No offense, but man....then again I dont play these stakes-I`m only thrown off by the post from someone playing these stakes

EDIT: is there some irony here I`m not getting?

Stokken
Old 02-10-2007, 06:59 AM

I agree with what your saying, but seriously people that actually think like that are probably robots, not humans.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:48 AM

Jman,

Do you mean that instead of thinking, "OMG, weiner! Dude just rivered that flush!" you should be thinking, "Sweet, weiner! Dude rivered that flush and gave me the chance to make a good play like folding the worst hand. THANKS SUCKER!"
Old 02-10-2007, 01:26 PM

Eagles, I'm sure you don't really think of every hand as a "win" or a "loss"...that would get pretty stressful.

for me the challenge of always trying to make the right decision given what I know about my opponent trumps any silly feelings of pride or "not wanting to get bluffed"
Old 02-10-2007, 01:47 PM

"Don't wait for it to happen. Don't even want it to happen. Just see what does happen."
Old 02-10-2007, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jman,

Do you mean that instead of thinking, "OMG, weiner! Dude just rivered that flush!" you should be thinking, "Sweet, weiner! Dude rivered that flush and gave me the chance to make a good play like folding the worst hand. THANKS SUCKER!"

[/ QUOTE ]

lol nice
Old 02-10-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your opponents plays is the expression of how his mind percieves the situation, get his mind and you own him

etc etc

No offense, but man....then again I dont play these stakes-I`m only thrown off by the post from someone playing these stakes

Stokken

[/ QUOTE ]
The thing is winning HSNL players are obviously better at poker than winning ssnl players but they are not necessarily better at controlling their emotions etc.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

etc etc

Stokken

[/ QUOTE ]
The thing is winning HSNL players are obviously better at poker than winning ssnl players but they are not necessarily better at controlling their emotions etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.
try losing a $30k pot then come back to us

jman's post is excellent for those of us who have strayed off this course. when i was winning consistently i played the game as he describes. now im all over the place lol
Old 02-10-2007, 05:54 PM

jman,

i think that ideally, there's one situation where you should be upset by your opponent's actions, and that is when you have in some way forced them, tricked them, or enticed them in to "outplaying" you.

i here want to definte what i mean by "outplaying." i don't mean the normal "he played better than you," i mean to convey that you've done something yourself that in some way compelled your opponent to put you in a spot that you are uncomfortable with, that you could have avoided.

in all other spots, when we're thinking "oh come on check behind" it's because, basically, we don't want to have to face the decision of what to do if they bet, we just want to see the showdown (or frequently we feel that if they check we win the vast majority). this is basically to me just a version of pot control. you don't want to have to face big bets on the end with 3rd pair because well, you have 3rd pair. though the big bet gives you an opportunity to make a good call or throw away the worst hand, or raise him, or whatever, hard decisions are hard, and so you sometimes play in order to keep the decisions hard.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that when you have chosen a line against a particular opponent (and this must be more extreme in heads up games) that causes your opponent to make a play that switches your decision from easy to hard (bad bet sizes that then get raised on the turn or river does this a lot), then i get upset, but with myself, not with my opponent.

my opponents are "allowed" to play decently, and i don't get upset when they make me make decisions. i just try to choose not to play against the ones who consistently find ways to make me make very hard decisions, even on smallish pots.

/end rambly semi-nonsensical post.

c