Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: JJ facing ALL IN $6.5 turbo

In a $6 turbo, I would gladly call all-in with JJ regardless of action and pretty much regardless of opponent, unless you have a good amount of hands showing he is tight. I don't think 20 hands is enough to put him on a range, I would default him to the standard $6 turbo player. Not sure about stars turbos and how fast the blind levels go up, but you also need to consider how becoming the chip leader at the table will increase your chances of winning by being able to bully the rest of the table and steal blinds, etc.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:10 PM

Both are easy calls, especially in a $6.50. You played fine except for raising a bit smaller initially as other people have said.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lion King: Was that hand you post against OP villian ? If not it is irrelevent.

[/ QUOTE ]

You miss my point. We can't tell a push range of a player just by his stats. In my experience 6.5's, even with stats like described villain push with really wide ranges. I posted a 77 hand, I could have posted others, with other weak holdings. They are all irrelevant since no villain is the same and all have different ranges. We can't assume villain here is any different from the rest, but we can't assume he is the same either. I have a standard expectation of a $6.5 player. If I'm off then I make a note and won't do it again.

My whole point is: there is no reason to put him on a different range then another $6.5-er purely based on his stats. In this case it ain't even relevant since we have JJ and will call.

I don't think I made my point about 2.5bb clear. I never bet 2.5bb with JJ with the intention to fold to a shove. I raise to 2.5bb with every hand to be able to get away cheaper from the bottom end of my range. So if I, for instance, raise utg with 99+ and AK and a good player who knows this reshoves I can fold 99 and TT. Just an example. If, in the same example I have AA I also raise to 250 so people never know whether I have 99 or AA. If I raise 400 with JJ, 350 with QQ, 300 with KK and 250 with AA I basically tell people what I have.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:38 PM

Call. at least when your already have 400 in the pot. No way you are folding. But JJ is close too a openshove even from UTG. Ofcourse you can raise it but its basicly the same thing as you was shoving allin directly. CALL.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
arent you getting over 2:1 here?

if anyone *ever* folded this here, they'd be making a grave, grave error.

[/ QUOTE ]
Totally Agree

[ QUOTE ]

also, arguing that hands like 77-TT/AQ/AJ are not in his range is absolutely ridiculous at this level IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was only pointing out the neutral $EV range for this spot is JJ+,AKo. Anything wider then that makes this a call. So whether villians is 99+,AQo or 66+,ATo+,KJs+,KQo it does not really make a difference to the end decision.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:28 PM

OT: What do you most ppl do when you find yourself in a spot like this. I whould prob shove JJ, but with a lil weaker hand like 99, what do ya do? its normaly not +EV too shove, so do you fold? or do you limit/2.5xbb raise then fold if one that covers you reraise?
Old 11-11-2007, 04:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OT: What do you most ppl do when you find yourself in a spot like this. I whould prob shove JJ, but with a lil weaker hand like 99, what do ya do? its normaly not +EV too shove, so do you fold? or do you limit/2.5xbb raise then fold if one that covers you reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

i 2.5 with my strong hands if i am too deep to shove late. If someone shoves on me with a stack that offers me good odds to call i put it in. If i 2.5 at t200bb with a 4k stack and a 3k stack shoves i usually dump all but premium (QQ+ unless i have a read and can call based on that)

In these spots i think the most important thing to remember is to keep your options open. If you over commit your self pre (4bb) and you don't want to be limp/folding or calling hands that could taking down the pot with a pre flop raise.

the 2.5bb raises should be the norm in your late sng game if you enjoy money.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:23 PM

The other reason your ep raises are typically 2.5 or 2.75 is to allow you to make a cheaper continuation bet with your oop missed AK type hands-- or JJ with one overcard--as well as get action on your monsters. Other people have other default raise sizes. I'm typically 2.5 from ep and sometimes 3 from lp, as 3 looks like a steal from the button in a 6.5. Obviously these sizes are changed by table the dynamic (how loose, is bb a regular that knows what I'm doing, etc).