Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 08:38 AM

Default Jekyll and Hyde

Although I'm not the bad 2+2er Snowball referred to in his post... I put in my worst performance ever this past weekend (as far as play-wise goes not result). However, sometime in between starting the session playing well and ending it playing awful this hand came up and I have heard 2 differing opinions.

Borgata 20-40
Villians in question:
SB is a guy named Mike. Seems to be a solid player although I have limited experience with him... doesn't get out of line. Not really tricky, but plays smart enough to be a winner in the game. MP1 Older white guy (OWG) who kind of $ucks b@lls, cetainly not the worst, but is not a winner. Will call down with middle pair on non-scary board, but I have seen him fold TPTK on an ugly one. Leads with top pair or better.
OWG doesn't know me. Mike probably thinks I'm a little too loose.

3 limpers (including OWG), I'm in MP3 with T9o and limp, button limps, SB completes, BB taps... 7 players to flop.

9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

(I don't have a spade)

Checks to OWG who bets, I raise, folds to SB who calls 2, OWG calls.
Turn:
2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checks to me I bet, both call.

River K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Checks to me, I bet.

I originally thought this was straightforward... thoughts on all streets?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Jekyll and Hyde

Not too difficult decision here. You might get a call from a Q or K, obv you will get raised by a flush certainly get called or raised by AT or anyone else with Tx.

I think I bet here and not be scared of the monsters.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:51 AM

unless the CO and button muck their cards out of turn i'm folding PF. on the flop, i would just call. you're almost always behind in this spot to OWG and likely have to improve your hand in order to win this pot. also, with the two spades/overcards on board and only a one card oesd, your hand isn't that strong. having played your hand this way so far i'd check behind on the turn and fold the river UI. river bet is fine obviously.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:26 AM

Fold preflop.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:33 AM

folding or calling this pre flop doesn't really matter, it's close from the HJ after 3 limps, I would however advise to look left first

I do like the flop raise to knock out the rest of the field and try for a free river when we don't improve on the turn

I don't like betting this turn, we're not folding out ANYTHING, so a check is in order

obv bet river
Old 08-21-2007, 09:39 AM

I think everything but the turn is fine. I usually check this turn. If I can solidly put both players on draws, then I will plan to barrel both the turn and river, however.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 AM

Check turn.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:59 AM

I was at this table. I remember thinking that your turn bet was pretty bad. seemed like a good spot to take a free card. I assumed that is why you raised the flop. Neither of the 2 players in question is ever folding the turn after calling 2 bets on the flop.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 AM

I think it's very good you made such a thorough analysis of the players involved in the hand. Now you have to follow it. Meaning that the bet on the turn is in the long run especially in that particular game a spew. Check behind on the turn.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:03 PM

Thanks for the responses.
On the drive home, I was pretty sure that the turn bet was awful, thanks for clarifying.
I raised that flop to take a standard free card and then opted to bet?!?! Like I said, not one of the clearest thinking sessions I had and it deteriorated from there. State trooper got me on the way down and must have put me on tilt.

Both just called the River and obv MHIG.

Preflop I didn't mind so much. I've been playing the passive foxwoods 10 game much more of late and I guess that play carried over.