Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Garnett to the Suns?

[ QUOTE ]

That's the point, we aren't having this discussion without the suspensions

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

if it takes this trade to give them some breathing room as the best team in the league then so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you are 100% sure that PHX would have won that series without the suspensions? PLEASE.

Also, I don't think they were clearly the best before this trade. They're certainly in the 1st tier with SA and DAL (yes I did see the DAL-GS series, before you ask) but CLEARLY #1??? I think you're exaggerating out of bitterness. If this trade goes down then they will definitely get all the hype and buzz, but it will still be the spurs' title to lose.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

if it takes this trade to give them some breathing room as the best team in the league then so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you are 100% sure that PHX would have won that series without the suspensions? PLEASE.

Also, I don't think they were clearly the best before this trade. They're certainly in the 1st tier with SA and DAL (yes I did see the DAL-GS series, before you ask) but CLEARLY #1??? I think you're exaggerating out of bitterness. If this trade goes down then they will definitely get all the hype and buzz, but it will still be the spurs' title to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Garnett is a pretty significant step up from Amare both on and off the court. I'd definitely make them the favorites if they return the same team with the only change being KG for Amare.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:58 PM

Also this is one trade where I actually think everyone gets a good thing from the deal. IMO Minn. gets the worst end of it even with the stacked draft, but time will have to tell on that one.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the point isn't that Amare > Garnett as a player. He's not. But, he's > Garnett as an asset due to his youth (and to a lesser extent his contract). But for a team like Phoenix with a window that is limited due to the age of their best player, it makes sense to take the better player and try to win now and give up some overall asset value in order to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post - if Amare refines his offensive game, slightly adjusts his mindset, and continues the trajectory he's on towards superstardom... I just hope for the Suns sake they win with KG / Nash, their window is what now, 2-3 years before completely rebuilding?

-Al
Old 06-27-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If morans are going to act like the suns werent even on the spurs level or that they NEED to make a trade to "put them over the top," them im allowed to say with 100% certainty that the suns would have won without the suspensions.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know they're huge failure this year is a knock against them, but people need to stop forgetting about the Mavs. As currently constructed and assuming Dirk doesn't go off the deep end, they can take either PHX or SA in a 7 game series.

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered this and rejected it. I was a huge Mavs bandwagoner earlier this year. They were exposed in the playoffs. When you consider that it took a boneheaded Ginobili foul to even beat the Spurs in 7 last year with Duncan crippled, I don't see any way they would have beaten the Spurs given the way they played this postseason. The Mavs already had trouble with the Suns. With KG, it's a no-contest.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:01 PM

I will feel really bad for the Hawks if Amare's microfracture surgery somehow backfires and Amare goes the route of Hardaway et. al. Poor management, blah blah blah, but that would be a crappy beat
Old 06-27-2007, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

it is probably enough to bring them up to the Spurs level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, Diaw for KG and Bell for Kobe still wouldn't be enough to bring them to the Spurs level. The Spurs just play the game the way it's meant to be played and the Suns have no counter for that.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:03 PM

someone that can matchup with Duncan goes a long ways towards countering them
Old 06-27-2007, 08:04 PM

eh, it was 3-2 with every game except game 2 (the suns rout) within like 6 points. I think it's safe to say they were both on the same level