Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Stars 30 - a couple of questions

So, been running terrible lately, and of course, I'm doubting everything I do. So, let's post some hands and get feedback. Here's a couple I wasn't completely sure about:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Relevant read: Villian here seems pretty normal (at least up to here). Although he made a comment about losing to someone's 3 outer when it was actually a 6 outer early on, so wasn't sure how stupid he really was. Hadn't made any ridiculous plays though.

UTG (t3537)
Hero (t1870)
Button (t3443)
SB (t395)
BB (t4255)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls t250.

Flop: (t875) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???

<font color="black">
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (3 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Relevant read: Villian here has been very tight. Not stealing as often as he should, and hadn't seen him resteal once before.

Hero (t4660)
SB (t5390)
BB (t3450)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1225</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t5390</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero ?? <font color="black"> </font> <font color="black"> </font> <font color="black"> </font> <font color="black"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>
Old 02-21-2006, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Stars 30 - a couple of questions

First hand, I would need a read on bigstack to raise his blind with 33. Fold preflop. Check flop.

Second hand I call. AJ is nice 3 handed.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:06 PM

Yeah, the raise with 33 was more of a steal attempt than anything. Wasn't wanting a caller for sure. But once he smooth-called then checked that flop, is a push there right?

With the AJ, that was VERY close to me. Against most people, its an instacall, but when a guy hasn't restole all game, do you give him credit here, get back to stealing blinds (which has been easy)?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the raise with 33 was more of a steal attempt than anything. Wasn't wanting a caller for sure. But once he smooth-called then checked that flop, is a push there right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would never try to "steal" from UTG+1. And no, I would not push the flop. Checking to a preflop raiser is not always a sign of weakness.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:16 PM

So, you view it more as UTG+1, and I view it as the CO with a pair... maybe that's where my flaw lies.

So, hand as it played out, do you check behind the flop and fold to any bet on turn? What's your plan?
Old 02-21-2006, 12:16 PM

Look at who you are stealing from. Does not look like a good spot at all to me without a very good read.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:43 PM

hand1: this is tough for me i'm probably check/folding

hand2: fold, without a doubt. too often you're in a big hole
Old 02-21-2006, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the AJ, that was VERY close to me. Against most people, its an instacall, but when a guy hasn't restole all game, do you give him credit here, get back to stealing blinds (which has been easy)?

[/ QUOTE ]
With this read I fold.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:49 PM

I don't think hand 1 is tough at all on the flop. Don't put in any more money unless you think you can bluff him out. What are you beating here? Overcards without a club, thats it. If he will let you check it down, nice.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:49 PM

Hand 1 - Fold preflop, trying to steal from the big stack is normally not a good idea.

Hand 2 - Push preflop.