Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: 6 handed video

[ QUOTE ]
OK, that was my in the moment reactions. I think your biggest hole is that you are not calling down nearly enough. You make a number of questionable peels, but you're not making enough call downs. You tend to get surprised, concerned, when they show aggression again on the turn when you are playing weak. You can't be taking this as new information and tightening up their hand range. new information in LHE only occurs after a change in aggression (obviously not strictly true) and I know you know it, but it seems like you are thinking about their bets too much. "I'm just gonna call here, but if he bets the river, I'm done." Guess what, he's gonna bet the river. Sync your turn/river plan with your type of hand. If you have a made hand, however bad, make your decision on the turn as to whether it is a call down or a fold and enact the decision on the turn. Drawing hands you can fold the river, obv. I don't think you lost anything because of it during the video, but your not always protecting weak made hands by betting the turn. I REALLY like your turn bet of the 99 hand. PLEASE don't start checking behind in that situation. Folding vs. calling down is a question mark, but don't avoid making tough decisions by letting him get there with his 5-6 outs that DIDN'T hit the turn.

Watching you play is encouraging me to make more folds, which is something I need to do, but FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY, PLEASE START CALLING DOWN MORE!!!! I wonder how a few extra call downs would have effected your bottom line for the session. Directly; the pots you folded when ahead. Indirectly; the amount you were getting played back at might have decreased.

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring up calling down more. In typical online 6 max games, what do you think one's overall % for went to showdown should be? What about games with an average of 8 players?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:38 PM

Really good posts CSC.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 PM

kj is a good fold and i dont think its really debatable.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kj is a good fold and i dont think its really debatable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, even though in realtime I never make it
Old 09-05-2007, 04:36 PM

emerson, my WSD/W$SD in 6max is about 44/49. I'm happy whenever my WSD is below 40, but for me, that is usually a greater function of running bad than of playing good. I do not think my WSD/W$SD is ideal. I think there are a bunch of folds that I'm not making. I show down with ace high quite a bit. Yesterday I called (successfully) a river bet with KcTc on a A9986hhhh board. I feel that in these 6max games, players try very hard to win every pot. As BZ said in his video, when the game is aggressive, it is time to be a bit more passive. To me, that means call down with ace high 60% of the time.

One hand that sticks out from the BZ video is the Kc5h peel on the QT86hhh board. There was 4BB in the pot and BZ had to call one. He mentioned something about "well if I check here, he'll bluff about most of the time." Two things; he's getting 4:1 to call to his 20% chance of hitting his 7th-nut flush and a king which may or not be good. I think 6max players peel these types of hands way too much. They forget about pot outs, implied odds, reverse implied odds, etc. Second, well he's right. The player WILL be bluffing that hand quite a bit. Which is why if you're going to call that turn bet, when the ace falls on the river you've GOT to call that too. Personally, I check/fold that turn. However, if a similiar hand found me at the river and I have the best half of nut no pair, I'm calling.

I don't play much full ring anymore as so few of those tables run. However, my opinion is that you can believe full ring players much more. My WSD in full ring is much lower not only because of the ease of folding in multi-way pots, but the greater ease of folding when HU. I think BZ is treating 6max like full ring - giving players the amount of credit you should give them at full ring. He should think more of his HU experience when playing 6max.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Open-fold 87o on the btn? wtf?

Fold k5o on the btn 3 handed?

[/ QUOTE ]

These are correct according to stox... that's who I go by. Maybe you could open up a little because he seemed to be playing some pretty weak ppl, but are these standard?

[ QUOTE ]

Raising Q8s after a limper from the CO is... questionable.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said himself that he didn't notice guy limped.

I agree with everything else though, especially [ QUOTE ]
In general, I think you fold too much after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-05-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
emerson, my WSD/W$SD in 6max is about 44/49. I'm happy whenever my WSD is below 40, but for me, that is usually a greater function of running bad than of playing good. I do not think my WSD/W$SD is ideal. I think there are a bunch of folds that I'm not making. I show down with ace high quite a bit. Yesterday I called (successfully) a river bet with KcTc on a A9986hhhh board. I feel that in these 6max games, players try very hard to win every pot. As BZ said in his video, when the game is aggressive, it is time to be a bit more passive. To me, that means call down with ace high 60% of the time.

One hand that sticks out from the BZ video is the Kc5h peel on the QT86hhh board. There was 4BB in the pot and BZ had to call one. He mentioned something about "well if I check here, he'll bluff about most of the time." Two things; he's getting 4:1 to call to his 20% chance of hitting his 7th-nut flush and a king which may or not be good. I think 6max players peel these types of hands way too much. They forget about pot outs, implied odds, reverse implied odds, etc. Second, well he's right. The player WILL be bluffing that hand quite a bit. Which is why if you're going to call that turn bet, when the ace falls on the river you've GOT to call that too. Personally, I check/fold that turn. However, if a similiar hand found me at the river and I have the best half of nut no pair, I'm calling.

I don't play much full ring anymore as so few of those tables run. However, my opinion is that you can believe full ring players much more. My WSD in full ring is much lower not only because of the ease of folding in multi-way pots, but the greater ease of folding when HU. I think BZ is treating 6max like full ring - giving players the amount of credit you should give them at full ring. He should think more of his HU experience when playing 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post.

But 44/49!!! (And I thought I was a SD monkey...)
Old 09-05-2007, 06:08 PM

nice posts CSC. I agree that you're too weak-tight BZ. It seems to me like you spend so much time thinking and convincing yourself that your opponents have the possible hands that you should fold to - put another way, it seems the more that you try and analyze the situation, you put them on a (too) tighter range. Anyone else notice/agree that he played better when he was on the phone? and playing more instinctually
Old 09-06-2007, 01:34 AM

wo 44, why bother handreading?
just playing.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:39 AM

He's getting an immediate 5:1 even if he has to call three bets on the flop. I think it's pretty close but I think the assertion that you are going to "see AK a lot" or whatever he said on the vid is just untrue, especially given that we've got a sb threebettor who supposedly doesn't respect baron and threebets him all the time and a bb who just called two cold from the bb before the flop and then raised a QJT flop. Nothing the bb has done here screams any sense, right?

And I really don't think it's a fold, but I don't think it's a laughing matter either way.

-Michael