Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2007, 07:38 PM

Default adjusting from full ring to 6max

Ive been playing 10 man tables between $2/$4 and $5/$10 FL successfuly for around 4 years now but it seems to be that the full ring FL games online are drying up and the bulk of the action is on 6max tables, so basicly im in need of some advice regarding starting hands at a 6max table and how I should be adjusting. I read somewhere that you should play asif at a full table and the first 4 players have folded, so far thats how ive been playing but i still seem to be playing considerably less hands than my opponents can anyone offer some advice ?

thanks for taking the time to read this !!
Old 07-13-2007, 07:54 PM

Default Re: adjusting from full ring to 6max

Try Small Stakes Short Handed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 PM

oops my bad !

I actualy dont play lower than $5/$10 very often these days anyway and I now have the BR to play $10/$20 so will be looking to crack that in the not too distant future so any advice you folks could give me wouldn't go to waste

sorry if ive wasted anyones time as you can see I havent been posting long !
Old 07-14-2007, 01:16 AM

there's a preflop chart that should help you in your start up of short handed posted some where in the small stakes short handed forum. it may be in one of the sticky's...

Best,
Bill
Old 07-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Adjusting is not possible as it's a sort of a completely different game than full ring, though I adjusted from shothanded limit holdem to shorthanded no-limit holdem in a way that I had a preflop strategy that was from basic parts a step or two tighter, that's all, but I had to create a new flop strategy (position, flop type, lead or not, heads up, three ways, hand type), and turn and river.

Just the same things one needs to do between limit full ring and limit shorthanded, just that adjusting preflop will be as simple as thinking that e.g. 2 off the button in a full ring game is the same as 3 off the button in a shorthanded game (the button hands in a full ring game are played from one off the button in a shorthanded game), the big blind is similarly looser when calling (or reraising) as the raiser will have a step or in practise maybe two steps looser hands as the full ring game players below high limits are often too tight, though the middle limit shorthanded games can be overly tight too.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Adjusting is not possible as it's a sort of a completely different game than full ring, though I adjusted from shothanded limit holdem to shorthanded no-limit holdem in a way that I had a preflop strategy that was from basic parts a step or two tighter, that's all, but I had to create a new flop strategy (position, flop type, lead or not, heads up, three ways, hand type), and turn and river.

Just the same things one needs to do between limit full ring and limit shorthanded, just that adjusting preflop will be as simple as thinking that e.g. 2 off the button in a full ring game is the same as 3 off the button in a shorthanded game (the button hands in a full ring game are played from one off the button in a shorthanded game), the big blind is similarly looser when calling (or reraising) as the raiser will have a step or in practise maybe two steps looser hands as the full ring game players below high limits are often too tight, though the middle limit shorthanded games can be overly tight too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with pretty much all of this. A full-ring game where it's folded to 6 players is completely identical to a full SH game. The only thing that's different are the players. In SH, they tend to be looser and more aggressive (or they used to, I haven't played a single hand of full-ring in about a year). Preflop hand charts will help, but dealing with the postflop trickiness and aggression in HU situations is the toughest, and most important part. Unfortunately, there is no simple guide to this.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:14 PM

A good full ring player shouldn't have to adjust at all the sh b/c they would just play their normal opening standards and outthink their opponents postflop. The problem with this assumption is that most winning players aren't necessarily great players. They win by playing tight and being able to push bigger edges b/c they can wait for their premium hands. Full ring doesn't force you to steal and blind defend to be a winning player like sh does so when most people make the transition, SH kills them b/c the 2 skills which are underdeveloped in their games (blind stealing and blind defending) are now much more important.

So what am I trying to say? Its still the same game so you just need to make minor adjustments and really focus on blind and HU play.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:28 PM

good posts 6471849653 and admiral fluff, i have been playing asif at a full table and first 4 players have folded but just wasnt sure if i was playing too tightly and missing opportunities. Totaly agree with what your saying IMO post flop play is more important in every form of hold em. Ive racked up ALOT of hours of heads up play so im pretty sharp in that respect, im starting to think that 6max games are just full of action junkies......yummy
Old 07-15-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagreed with most of this as well fwiw

I think smalls points about playing in the blinds and steal situations for players coming from full ring is the only real adjustment. If u were a great full ring player ud already be great at playing those situations so u wouldnt have to adjust much if any, however most full ring players are nits and arent forced to play those more marginal steal/defense spots which are often tough decisions and account for lots of variance so most players in full ring avoid them. This is often why they play full ring, to avoid being put in those spots constantly which u just cant avoid in short handed since ur forced to face them often.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:33 AM

Remain careful when out of position, because your opponents will be even more aggressive and make thinner value-bets/semi-bluffs. By the same token, make more of these yourself - against the right opponents. Adjusting to your opponents is the biggest key for short-handed games, IMO. Go passive against loose-aggressive-bluffers, put the pressure on weak-tight players/players who fold too much/don't raise enough. Bet for value against calling stations/showdown monkeys.