Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2007, 07:06 AM

Default (2/4) Flopped nuts versus tilting opponent

Party 2/4. Flopped nuts against an opponent who's pretty average/bit aggressive normally but suffered a beat and is tilting for the last little bit. Flopped nuts against him. Not sure if I played it the right way. Comments on all streets appreciated.

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $2/$4
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, 2 folds, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to $24</font>, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($80, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $77</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($234, 2 players)
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($234, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $210.3</font>

Results:
Final pot: $654.6
Old 05-20-2007, 10:48 AM

Default Re: (2/4) Flopped nuts versus tilting opponent

I think you ought to be leading the flop weakly to give him a chance to reraise you and make yourself a much nicer, bigger pot. I'd also be loathe to give him free cards as it's quite likely he has an ace of his own with at least a couple of live kickers. If you've been checkraising him regularly I prefer to do that, as he will probably be shoving over the top of you with an ace of his own. Does villain have you covered btw?
Old 05-20-2007, 12:31 PM

yeah I would either lead out small so he can raise to make it bigger and then you can shove or you take the approach you took and check to him and let him bet, but you have to raise him here because you can't let him get free cards especially if he has an A which means he would have 9 outs granted he doesn't have a 2 or 3.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:22 PM

seems like we like the checkraise all in on the flop.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:07 PM

Villain has pretty much the same size stack as me, but covers me by a few dollars. I think the flop lead would be the way to go because even to someone who is steaming, my flop play gives my hand away a fair bit. Playing OOP, villain is probably going to guess I've got an ace like 98% of the time here. My plan was for him to do all the betting, which kind of goes against how I normally play, but like I originally said, he seemed to be steaming a fair bit and I thought he'd try and me around.

What about checking the river to him and letting him have another go at pushing me out? I couldn't handle playing that passively so I shoved that bad boy lol. In hindsight, best place to build the pot is obviously the flop and I think leading is the best way to go, looking to get raised. What do you think would be a good size bet to lead the flop?