Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: San Francisco Bay Area: Your favorite things to do or places to go

nyc,

If you like the W and Monaco, other hotels you would like are the new Hotel Vitale (across from the Ferry Building) and the Clift (near Union Square). These are all sorta "hip, stylish, relative expensive boutique hotel" vibe.

Those are all relatively pricey, though. Expedia usually has tons of much cheaper hotels in SF that are totally fine to stay at. Except if there's a big convention in town, at which time prices get ridiculous.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:34 PM

c,

Memphis Minnie's is far from superb BBQ. It is marginal at best, though I guess decent enough for SF BBQ. You're not from the South, are you?

For BBQ in SF, you can get ribs at Big Nate's, which are pretty damn good. Also Brother-in-Law's BBQ used to be very good, I haven't been back since they reopened as Lily's. Assuming it's the same, they make excellent ribs and brisket and sausage. That's pretty much it when it comes to BBQ in the city. Oakland has a few good places. I've only been to Everett & Jones, which is pretty good - I like the brisket. But apparently there's better over there.

For some outstanding fried chicken and soul food, Powell's Place is a great place to go. http://powellsplace.citysearch.com/page/o459/Menu.html

"there's something satisfying about a place where you can get a dinner of smothered pork chops, liver and onions, or ox tails (with two sides plus corn muffins) for under $10."

That says it all. Legit. I prefer to just get the fried chicken to go from there with a bunch of sides, so good.

Magnolia is indeed a good brew pub with very good beers, but a sorta crowded bar area. 21st Amendment and Rogue are two other excellent brewpubs that have better bar areas.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:37 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Last time I went to SF I stayed at the Cow Hollow inn in the marina district and it was awesome. The rooms are normal size but just have a very nice feel. The location is good for walking or driving places; they have free highspeed wireless.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For some outstanding fried chicken and soul food, Powell's Place is a great place to go. http://powellsplace.citysearch.com/p...9/Menu.html<br />
[/ QUOTE ]

Hard Knox Cafe at 22nd and 3rd has surprisingly good, cheap soul food.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:08 PM

I'm not very outgoing, and I am too young to get drunk, so mostly I go to the century 20 in Daily City to watch movies. Sometimes we will go up north and hang out by the peirs, and that that black dude who hides behind a bush.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:13 PM

BF: Good post. It's hard to find anyone to agree, but I also think Little Star is better than Zachary's. Also, love that garlic bread!

60: Search on "Gary Danko." It gets pretty much my highest recommendation in SF, great place. Definitely do the cheese course. Haven't been to La Provence.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:11 PM

I went to Annabelle's Bar and Bistro on Sunday and was disappointed and unimpressed. Perhaps a bad choice of entrees but it was not good (value or food).