Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Religion DOES Do More Good Than Harm

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I think almost everybody would agree that they are happier with their religion and its restrictions than they would be without either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many people that say this are lying to themselves. Do you really think those same people with the same families would be depressed if they were raised atheist instead?

I think only a very small percent of theists receive a large amount of hope/inspiration/whatever from it.

I think as our society progresses, the downside of religion is getting exponentially greater. If there were never any atheists, imagine how far set back our scientific knowledge would be.

Then there's the obvious argument that most wars are caused by religion, coupled with all the intolerance, hate, and bigotry, etc.

Are you really thinking on a global level?

[/ QUOTE ]

The people we need to be atheists already are for the most part.

Those on this forum almost certainly underestimate the number of people who would live in quiet desperation without their religion.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:50 PM

David Sklansky FTW!

Nice post Mempho. I even have a hard time seeing Judas in hell.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Those on this forum almost certainly underestimate the number of people who would live in quiet desperation without their religion.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm torn on this one. Certainly in the West where the average age is in the 40s, there are a lot of old and unhappy people who are comforted by religion.

But they've also grown up with religion and its comforts, and never had a chance to develop a happy, god free outlook as young adults, and true moral courage in the absence of Santa/God. I agree that pulling the rug from under them is bad - but I don't necessarily agree that over the sum of a life, a person raised with religion will be happier than one raised without.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think as our society progresses, the downside of religion is getting exponentially greater. If there were never any atheists, imagine how far set back our scientific knowledge would be.

[/ QUOTE ]
How so? In my opinion the greatest dangers to humanity's future will come from people like yourself who embrace all technology enthusiastically with poor regard for the consequences. Irrational belief systems may be just the check we need on this consequence-be-damned view of technological progress.

[ QUOTE ]
Then there's the obvious argument that most wars are caused by religion, coupled with all the intolerance, hate, and bigotry, etc

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't this highly debatable?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 PM

You are missing a very important part of the question. Having religion may make individuals happier (this probably varies from individual to individual), but will it make people who have to deal with these individuals happier? That is if my neighbors/government/whatever are religious this may lead to a decrease in my well being. This will be especially true if I'm one of any number of groups their religion might not see eye to eye with such as a- a different religion, b- atheist, c- homosexual (or I engage in any behavior their religion deems immoral). It's also possible that religion might make people more judgemental in a general sence. History indicate, IMO, that religion does more harm than good, not because being religious makes people unhappy, but because being religious makes people persecute others leading to those others being unhappy.

some former discussion unrelated to the point I just made, but focusing on whether or not religion does or does not make individuals happier:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1
Edit: don't read past page 7 unless you want to read a long testy debate with Brad
Old 11-01-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
David Sklansky FTW!

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Bible, Hell is described in multiple verses as being eternal, everlasting, & for ever & ever.......what is the meaning of those words???
Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM

one of the reasons the jews (who actually read the torah, unlike christaians) were persecuted in the middle ages was that they practiced the sanitary rules in the bible and thus didn't get sick/as sick as the locals (like during plagues) who knew nothing about the word of god, so it was easy for clergy and others to politicize the issue to steal from the jews using as a pretense that jews were in league with devil, etc.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:23 PM

If the only factor in measuring the worth of something was the happiness it brings, then David would be right.

But how can you judge Religion on that factor alone.

Also- I suspect people are happier when they believed in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and that little babies are delivered by the Stork. Does that mean it does more good if we all continued to believe those things then to know the truth?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
David Sklansky FTW!

[/ QUOTE ]

In the Bible, Hell is described in multiple verses as being eternal, everlasting, & for ever & ever.......what is the meaning of those words???

[/ QUOTE ]

quotes plz.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
David Sklansky FTW!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

quotes plz.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt 18: 7-9
Matt 25: 40-42
Jude 1: 6-8
Isaiah 33:14
Mark 9:43
Rev 20: 7-10