Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Ask Me About Being a Police Officer

[ QUOTE ]
That is what I mean by quotas. My chief never says, "Go out there and get 5 traffic citations so that we can meet our goal of 50 citations in a month so that we can keep our budget." you get the idea. My chief does not care if we stop a vehicle and let them go on a warning. He even told me once, "This is a small town, there is no reason to crack down on every driver unless it's warranted."

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds great, but you should be aware that its not like that everywhere. Not by a longshot.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That is what I mean by quotas. My chief never says, "Go out there and get 5 traffic citations so that we can meet our goal of 50 citations in a month so that we can keep our budget." you get the idea. My chief does not care if we stop a vehicle and let them go on a warning. He even told me once, "This is a small town, there is no reason to crack down on every driver unless it's warranted."

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds great, but you should be aware that its not like that everywhere. Not by a longshot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you support that with some evidence?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:12 PM

Yeah. Talk to anyone in the NYPD and they'll tell you how its all about "numbers".
Old 10-12-2007, 05:14 PM

Do you interact much with the prosecutors who end up handling your cases? If so, what's your biggest annoyance with them? Does it make a big difference to you whether your cases result in a successful prosecution?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:21 PM

you pull over a guy for running a red light, you look in the trunk and find a bunch of guns, drugs, and about 5 million in cash. How much of the money do you steal?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:49 AM

Great thread have enjoyed it!

Question: what do you guys think about criminal defence attorneys?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you interact much with the prosecutors who end up handling your cases? If so, what's your biggest annoyance with them? Does it make a big difference to you whether your cases result in a successful prosecution?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only ever really deal with the district attorney who handles the cases that go to the County Judge. Anything that is a misdemeanor or more is usually handled by him, or summary appeals. He's a great guy, very nice, and he's a friend of my dad.

The only annoyance, I don't even know if you'd call it an annoyance, but just the fact that it's politically biased. Often times he'll try to get plea agreements by dropping some charges just so that he'll get a guilty out of it and make his numbers look better. It doesn't even really bother me, but that is always one thing that stuck out to me.

I don't really care if my arrests are successfully entered as guilty. I try to do my job well and so I try not to screw up anything or arrest anyone unless I am certain beyond a reasonable doubt that the person I am arresting is guilty already. I have in the past arrested a kid and then went to court and said it was possible it wasn't him. It was a long story about chasing some 4-wheelers. He was found not guilty. I've also gone to court hearings and the victim asked the charges to be dropped, so when we went into the courtroom, I told the judge that the victim requested the charges to be dropped. My record is probably like 6-2 (2 = one not guilty, one dropped at hearing).
Old 10-13-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Great thread have enjoyed it!

Question: what do you guys think about criminal defence attorneys?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't give you my opinion for all officers on their opinions, but my opinion is that I never could understand how they could stick up for someone who has just committed a homicide. There is alot of money to be made (I think, not really sure) so I could see why. Plus, law is all a big game. Just like life, it's just one long game.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We get to the powerline and start walking up the hill. We are still calling his cellphone and we can hear it off in the distance. I say, "Stop, do you hear that?" It sounded like someone was walking. We start looking around some more with the camera and listening for his cellphone. We stop again and sure enough, we hear some movement in the distance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This part of the story threw me off. He had already killed himself, so what did you guys hear moving?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:40 AM

Silly question: Do you dress up as a police officer for Halloween?