Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 01:26 AM

Default How soon is too soon to fold?

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] second to act, loose game, I call. Only 5 players of 8 players see the flop.

Flop: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I bet, 2 callers.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

EasyToRead in the Little Blind bets out. Too soon?
I call, WillChase on the button calls.

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

EasyToRead bets, Too soon? I call. WillChase raises, EasyToRead makes it 3 to go, I fold.

6's full of 9's, and A4 split the pot.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: How soon is too soon to fold?

I think you played it perfectly, provided EasyToRead only bets turn with boat and not just trip 6's
Old 06-12-2007, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
EasyToRead in the Little Blind bets out. Too soon?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes. Too soon.

[ QUOTE ]
EasyToRead bets, Too soon?

[/ QUOTE ]Yes. Too soon.

akaLogic - Tough break. You have a nice starting hand and then seemingly get a nice flop. After the flop you're licking your chops, figuring that any of 16 unseen low turn cards makes you the nut low (any four, five, seven, or eight) while any of ten unseen turn cards pairs the board, thus making you a full house (or quads) with the nut low draw. So you figure that 26/45 turn cards will be good for you and then you get one of these cards.

But then EasyToRead bets. You reason that maybe EasyToRead is simply betting trip sixes, maybe with a low draw - and anyhow you still have a nut low draw. I don't see how you can fold here. I don't see how you can raise with the worst possible full house either.

It's a reason I try to avoid playing hands with low pairs. But with A233, you're stuck playing the low pair. You're certainly not going to fold that hand - and seven times out of eight, you don't make a set on the flop. This is that one time out of eight when you do!

On the river disaster strikes. You miss low but low is enabled for an opponent. EasyToRead bets again. If you somehow knew EasyToRead absolutely had a full house for his bet, then you should fold here. But I don't see how you can be sure of this.

You cannot foresee the whipsaw coming, figure you have a chance for high, and call. Seems very reasonable.

And then you are faced with a double raise. This is a terrible spot to be. Although there's an off chance they both have low hands, I'd guess they both have high hands. And if so, they're both probably better than you for high. I hate to get bullied out of a pot on the river, but I think the prudent choice is to fold, just as you did, to the double bet.

No suggestions. I'd have played it just the way you dud.

Buzz
Old 06-12-2007, 08:19 AM

I agree. No room for improvement the way you played it.

- chaos
Old 06-13-2007, 06:59 AM

I also think it was well played. Why not bet preflop? Is it to disguise your hand or to lure more players into calling?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:03 PM

Too early. Late position raise.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:05 PM

How much value does the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] add to hand pre-flop?