Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 09:37 PM

Default river decision

small stakes game on ftp:

my first hand in the bb. We're 5-handed, CO has posted.

It's folded to the CO who raises his posted blind. SB cold-calls. I call JTo.

Flop KTT rainbow.

We check it to the CO who bets. SB folds. I check-raise. CO 3-bets. I cap.

Turn: 6. I bet, CO calls.

River: 6. I bet, CO raises. What's the play?

thanks,
eric

PS. A little extra info: during the hand when I capped, and also when I bet the turn, the CO paused before acting. i had the feeling at the time that my fastplay was frustrating him, but also convincing him that maybe I didn't have a ten after all.

Of course, it could have been an act. Or lag. You know how these things go.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: river decision

threeball, call cap. online players are so overaggro sometimes I think this is the only option.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
threeball, call cap. online players are so overaggro sometimes I think this is the only option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. So you aren't concerned that you're offering 2:1 that he has a better hand, considering that your hand is so plainly obvious and he's still raising?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. So you aren't concerned that you're offering 2:1 that he has a better hand, considering that your hand is so plainly obvious and he's still raising?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you did there, I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by "we're offering him two to one and he's still raising". I'm not very good at math.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:34 AM

man, i want to 3bet but calling if he caps it really weights his range towards the 6-12 combos that have us beat. sometimes you have to override the pure combo analysis and look at how he plays his hand in relation to what he thinks we hold.

unless he viewed as us very, very aggressive postflop i don't see how he can think we have less than a ten here. our range is certainly wide enough to include a Ten and(without knowing if villain is aware that we play certain parts of our range similar to a Ten) this should make it extremely apparent after the action we put in.

i would call the river raise.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you mean by "we're offering him two to one and he's still raising". I'm not very good at math.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I mean is this:

If we 3-bet, we intend to call a cap. KT and 66 and KK will all surely cap this river, so we will lose 2 bets when behind one of these hands.

On the other hand, hands we beat may not call, and they surely won't cap. So we are risking 2 bets to win 1 by 3-betting.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:44 AM

Default results

I found this hand interesting because I would normally just call. My hand is face up (meaning there is no way I get to this point without holding a ten, and if I do, I wouldn't call the river raise anyways), and he's still raising.

In THIS hand though, a combination of my read of his hesitation, and the fact that he didn't raise the turn made me feel that there was no way he could have me beaten. How could he possibly wait for the river with a huge hand when I had made it so clear that I wanted to put in money? It felt very unlikely.

So I made an unusual move (for me) and 3-bet, hoping he had a hand like A6 and didn't believe I had a ten.

He tilt-capped QQ. I fought off the urge to make a hero laydown and dragged a big pot.

Somehow after the hand, I could imagine people telling me that I "never" get capped by a hand I can beat, etc and that even though his play is consistent with a hand I can't possibly be behind, I should just call. I could imagine myself saying that, in fact. Interesting result I think.