Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 PM

Default Re: is drinking alcohol an acquired taste?

of course it's an acquired taste (for most). I'm 22, first drank beer at 17 and hated it so bad I chased it with coca-cola. No joke. No I'm quite the beer advocate and can't get enough.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Scotch #1: blah, gross, liquid dirt, etc.

Scotch #2: blah, gross.

Scotch #3: blah.

Scotch #4: ...

Scotch #5: Hmmm...not too bad.

Scotch #6: I like the oaky flavor of this one.

Scotch #7: Single or blended?

Scotch #8: WAITER!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I'm at #6 on your Scale of Scotch enjoyment.

I'm 24 and I find my enjoyment of alcohol is largely situational. A beer after work is always good, but other times it may be a chore to finish. I suspect this is somewhat standard.

One thing I can never do is enjoy alcohol early in the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be Scotch #9: Breakfast
Old 09-23-2007, 09:06 AM

I'll just come out and say it. The people that say they like the taste of any alcoholic beverage are simply mired in denial about the fact that they're doing a hard drug and will go to great lengths to delude themselves. Sure, some alcoholic beverages are more palatable than others but your little kid taste buds were right.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The people that say they like the taste of any alcoholic beverage are simply mired in denial about the fact that they're doing a hard drug and will go to great lengths to delude themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is worded sort of confusingly. Do you mean to say, "The people that say they like the taste of any single alcoholic beverage," or "The people that say they like the taste of every alcoholic beverage?" It sounds like you're claiming that nothing fermented tastes good, but surely that can't be what you meant.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll just come out and say it. The people that say they like the taste of any alcoholic beverage are simply mired in denial about the fact that they're doing a hard drug and will go to great lengths to delude themselves. Sure, some alcoholic beverages are more palatable than others but your little kid taste buds were right.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, you are very wrong, at least in my case.

I'm not a big drinker and do not like "getting wasted." I do, however, love a good beer while watching the game and grilling some steaks, or enjoying a wonderful bottle of wine when I dine out.

It's all because of the taste, not the "buzz." Does the buzz contribute to the experience? I'm sure it does, but it's not the reason I drink wine or beer.

And I do agree that good wine, like certain foods, is an acquired taste.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BRAG!:

My parents gave me beer when i was a child. Trained.

As I pointed out, some beers are inomprehensably bad. Some beers are genuinely good, IMO.

I take it you do not drink at all?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alcoholic parents or just relatives?
Old 09-23-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My parents gave me beer when i was a child. Trained.

As I pointed out, some beers are inomprehensably bad. Some beers are genuinely good, IMO.

I take it you do not drink at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with OP. I've grown up in a hosuehold where every kind of alcoholic beverage has been available to me since I was about 4 years old. My parents are borderline alcoholics. As a child I never liked any alcoholic drink, be it wine, beer, cider, lager. Even alcopops are just inferior versions of soft drinks. I first tried whisky when I was about 8, and I may as well have just tried to set fire to my mouth. But all these drinks have the same thing in common: they all taste, at least partially, of alcohol, which is absolutely disgusting. Why ruin a good juice or soft drink by putting alcohol in it, I've always thought.

100% of my friends and family drink alcohol. My theory is that they first drank it when they were around 14/15, when they have such a big desire to drink alcohol (because getting drunk is cool apparently) that they simply deny the horrible taste, and eventually come to get used to it. Whereas I have never drunk it in enough volumes to get used to it. I've basically had sips and spat it out every opportunity I've had.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 AM

My little kid taste buds also spit out smoked salmon.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:34 AM

Post deleted by katyseagull